A bug in our aquarium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

HaveQuestions

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello Again,

We spotted a bug in our aquarium. Totally new to this so have no idea about this.

I'm starting with the notion that this is okay, and any info would be appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_20161118_185628.jpg
    IMG_20161118_185628.jpg
    76.6 KB · Views: 74
  • IMG_20161118_185616.jpg
    IMG_20161118_185616.jpg
    154.3 KB · Views: 77
That's a pond snail. Some consider it a pest or nuisance at best. I have them in my Planted tank and hardly see them.
Their population can grow if there is over feeding in the tank.

Thanks for the quick reply. Why are they considered a pest? What impact will they have on our aquarium? We have a couple plants and a few guppies.

Most likely it arrived with the plants. Where there is one, there is usually more. Snail eggs are often found on plants and it may be a while before you notice them.
I don't see them as pests. I have a Planted tank and the snails leave the plants alone (they graze on the biofilm and algae found on the plants).
They can breed quickly. In the presence of excess fish food, their numbers may increase rapidly.
Some folks find them aesthetically unappealing or a sign of a neglected tank. For those with dwarf pufferfish, they are a great food source. Some larger fish may find them appetizing as well.

I believe these veriety of snail are asexual and there fore can reproduce with out a mate, which is why they become such a pest in the first place.

Pretty sure there is a snail fairy that drops snails into aquariums while people are sleeping.

Many consider them a pest in a planted tank as they eat plants.

By contrast, the MTS is a snail that doesn't eat plants and therefore not seen as much of a nuisance as the pond snail.

Thanks for the information.

I hardly see the snail, and I have been trying to keep an eye out for more, which I have not noticed.

Based on some reading on guppies, I suspect we may be over feeding them, so we are reducing the amount of food we give them.

Thanks again.

Back
Top Bottom