A dirty aquarium on the side of the road

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Looks great! Have you considered getting live plants? Things like java fern are pretty much un-killable.
Ya. I want thinking I'd wait until the tank cycled and got stable, and then look at plants. I definitely would want something very forgiving to start out with.

Goldfish are VERY Messy and dirty fish, and a 20 gallon tank would not be sufficient for their growth. So, I don't recommend adding goldfish, unless u want to clean the tank every other or every three days! You can get some beautiful glofish, they are tetras, and very hardy

Goldfish are VERY Messy and dirty fish, and a 20 gallon tank would not be sufficient for their growth. So, I don't recommend adding goldfish, unless u want to clean the tank every other or every three days! You can get some beautiful glofish, they are tetras, and very hardy
I've got 8 Lemon Tetras right now. I followed the advice earlier in the thread not to get goldfish.

Thanks! Once I have the test kit and can be sure that the tank has cycled and I'm doing less water changes In going to use the spring water across the road which doesn't have that yellow tint to it. Sounds look much nicer then.

I also have some flat rocks in my yard that I'm planning on building done hardscaping with. And then the plants at some point as well. Anyone have a good reference for plants that would be compatible with my tank?

I would say I have fairly low light. It is just some LED strips left over from my kitchen undercabinet lighting. I doubt they have adequate amounts of the proper wavelength for serious plant growth.

I'd like something floating since I've heard Tetras like that. And probably a couple of higher plants in the back for cover and some smaller plants in the front to balance it out.

I definitely want something easy that won't need a lot of monitoring and fertilizing. I don't mind a bit of trimming work.

I also don't know yet what other fish I'll put in the tank, so if there are any plants that would severly limit my fish options I'd want to stay away from them.

Amazon swords, Java ferns, and maybe some frogbit for the floating plants. But most of your floating plants will take over. The fish would be up to you. I'd try some Otto's catfish for your tank. You'll love them. They stay small, help clean the tank, fun to watch, and you don't have to feed them, they live off algae. They do like zucchini though.

Swords are always a favorite of mine just toss a root tab under them every few months and with low light they will make a great background. Yes they love zucchini! Mine just can't get it because my pleco guards it! She is a booger like that. They also like sweet potatoes

Ok, got the API Master Kit today.

Tank is as follows:
pH 6.8
Ammonia 0ppm
Nitrite 0ppm
Nitrate 0ppm

I was really happy to see ammonia and nitrite at 0, but then the nitrate confused me. I expected to see something. Should I not see some?

My last water change was yesterday, 25%. I also did a heavy feeding this morning.

Thoughts? Specifically regarding Nitrate level.

Do the test again and make sure you follow the directions exact. That nitrate test is a bit tricky. Gotta shake the crap out of it.

I followed it to the letter, but I'll try it again.

I did the big feeding in the morning, but I didn't have the kit until the evening, about 12 hrs apart, and those were my readings.

I did the nitrate test again this morning. Still looks like 0 to me. I know it's harder to tell in a picture, but I attached it anyway.

I read through the procedure again and I'm sure I did it correctly. Is there any way to test if the kit is working properly?IMG_20180224_082023970.jpg

I've done 4 nitrate tests now since last night. I am still getting 0. I've banged #2 bottle on the table and the floor, and shook for about 15 minutes. I followed all the instructions properly. Either the test is not working or I truly have no nitrates.

I tested again for ammonia and nitrite about 2 hrs after a medium feeding. The ammonia was *maybe* just barely 0.25 ppm. Nitrite was 0.

How long should it take for ammonia and nitrite to climb?

(20 G, 8x Lemon Tetras, 25% WC ~1.5 days ago, fish have been in for 13 days)

I'm thinking I might just stop doing water changes and feed heavy for a couple days and monitor the ammonia, nitrite, and nitrate to see what is actually happening. (Obviously doing water change if levels get high)

Yeah, I'd wait a few days, test ammonia and nitrite daily. The nitrate test is always a pain.

Back
Top Bottom