A few newbie questions - new 10G tank, upgrade

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

fishguy3

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hey everyone,

This will be my first post on here, but I've been reading for a while as I've just got into having an aqarium - seems like a great community you all have going. Reading other threads has encouraged me to post my questions.

I just recently bought a used 10 gallon tank and had a couple questions.

Heres the setup:

(Both are freshwater)

NEW TANK - 10 gallons, 50W heater, Aqua Clear 20 filter
picture: after giving it a spit shine after I bought it, no water yet (dont worry I didnt use soap on the inside ;))
http://i45.tinypic.com/jkw1np.jpg

OLD TANK - ~3 gallons, no heater, cycled, with air stone and pump
3 FISH - 2 platies and one guppy

Questions:

1) How long should I cycle the new 10G tank without fish for?
2) What is the best way to bring my current fish into the new tank?
3) Heater - If I use the 50W heater will the fish I had in the old tank still survive in the new? How warm will a 50W heater make the water? Im assuming I cant really control this much as the heater itself doesnt have any controls)

4) What types of fish could I add to these three other than other platies or guppys?

Thanks very much!

Umm, need some more information. But I would get a heater that you can adjust. It may not have degrees on it but at least you can set the temp to something desirable instead of it randomly heating your tank.

My suggestion would take your old tank water, (gravel and filter insert if possible) into your new 10g tank. It would help you cycle a lot faster.

I dont know if your old tank is still setup, but if it is this will help a lot. Take a NEW STOCKING never washed, and put some gravel into it and let that sit in your 10g tank.

Cycling does not really have time limit, it is more of just testing testing testing to make sure the levels are currect, once they are boom your done.

2) If you are using the same filter media and using some of the gravel the parameters should be nearly the same, and simple acclimation would allow that. Many people wither have the fish in some sort of container (plastic bag?) and sit it in the tank for 10-15 minutes, add some water, another 10-15 minuets and so on. Then release the fish. Many people have different methods. Some even use an airline to slowly allow the water into the container.

3) Like I said I would invest in a quality heater. I enjoy my submersible one because I can hide it behind decorations and I dont have to worry about it shocking my fish.

4) Well since platies and guppys are both community fish, its just a lot of preference. Like I personally enjoy tetras, and gourmai. But you are limited with a 10g tank. If you go to your LFS usually they have the fish laid out with stats about the fish. My suggestion, go to your LFS write down some of the fish you like. Go home research them, make sure they wont get to big with your tank, and are really community fish (some places have aggressive fish named as community). Then go back and buy some.

Hope all my information is write, I am sure others will reply. Best of luck and welcome to AA.

I say to cycle it for 2-4 weeks depending on how you're going to cycle it. Are you going to add any chemicals, or throw in some things from an old tank to add the benificial bacteria? Or are you starting from scratch?

As for the heater, that is strange that it doesnt have any controls. What brand is it, maybe you can look it up on the internet. I'm sure a 50w heater would have NO problem heating a 10 gallon tank to a comfortable water temperature for your fish. Mine need the temp to be around 75, but I have a controller.

Some more information

- The old tank is still setup but without the decorations, they are in the new tank

- The type of filter systems between the two tanks differ - I cannot move the old filter cartridge into the new one

- The heater is this one which appears to be preset to 78 degrees. How does this affect the answer to some of my questions?

- I was planning on cycling it from scratch. Can I get away with cycling it with nothing added?

Thanks!

First off, if you have moved your decorations from the old tank to the new tank, do not wash them. These decorations have the benificial bacteria on them assuming you have never let them dry while transfering them from tank to tank. Also the chlorine in your tap water would have killed the bacteria if you washed the decorations off.

You can get away with cycling without adding anything, it's just going to take much longer. If you still have some gravel left over from your old tank, put it in a new stocking like Paulie said, and dangle it in your tank.

Even if your old filter is not compatible with your new filter, try and fit it somewhere. Your old filter is full of essential bacteria.

Oh and 78 degrees is a good freshwater temperature.

Hope this helps.

Welcome, I'm not understanding if you have some sort of filter in your current "old" tank. If you do then move your fish to a bucket. Take the substrate and decorations from the old tank and put it in the new one. Fill it with water (dechlorinated of course) and put the old filter media or old filter itself on the new one and let it run for about an hour. In this case you may only see a mini cycle if one at all. It's just like doing a large water change. Oh and that heater is fine if it's built to handle 10 gallons.

A few follow up thoughts:

- I did not rinse the decorations from the old tank before putting them in, however they are dry as I have not put water in the new tank (I have not had time yet, but wanted to post this thread to ask some stuff first)

- What do you mean by "NEW STOCKING"? How can I "dangle" it in my tank?

- I have a small filter catridge in my old tank, but the new tank has an Aquaclear 20 filter, which doesnt take the same cartridge at all. What can I do with this cartridge to benefit from the bacteria when setting up the new tank?

So far it seems I should take some of the old gravel out, put it in the new tank and fill it up with tap water, turn the filter and heater on. What else am I missing?

A few follow up thoughts:

- I did not rinse the decorations from the old tank before putting them in, however they are dry as I have not put water in the new tank (I have not had time yet, but wanted to post this thread to ask some stuff first)

- What do you mean by "NEW STOCKING"? How can I "dangle" it in my tank?

- I have a small filter catridge in my old tank, but the new tank has an Aquaclear 20 filter, which doesnt take the same cartridge at all. What can I do with this cartridge to benefit from the bacteria when setting up the new tank?

So far it seems I should take some of the old gravel out, put it in the new tank and fill it up with tap water, turn the filter and heater on. What else am I missing?

Ladys stockings, they are a great thing. But they have to be new or never washed. If they are washed the detergent stays in them and can really ruin your tank. You do not have to dangle it, you can set it at the bottom of your tank and after cycled just pull it out.

With the cartridge what you can do is somehow position it so its submerged in your filter, if you cant well then that just kinda stinks, but it will really speed up your cycling process.

Oh ok, awesome thanks.

And what about adding one fish from the old tank in after a little while - will that help speed up the cycling by adding some ammonia?

Also, if I take some of the water, gravel, and filter out of the old tank, wont they die? How long could they last like that? I dont really want to have them in a bucket while doing all of this if I dont have to

The fish will be fine in the bucket assuming you just put the old water in there with them. Just as long as they're not in there longer than an hour. You do not need to transfer the old water into the new tank as it contains nothing of use. Just take the old cartridge and put it in the new filter for a while. If your decorations have dried out then they are of no use as the bacteria is dead. Using the substrate and filter will be fine.

Alright, I will try and place the old filter cartridge in the new filter somehow, and if I cant I will put it in a new stocking and leave it in the tank for a while.

If the old water is of no value then I will leave them in the other tank (now with most of the gravel gone into the new tank and the filter gone).

SO - new tank has old gravel, hopefully the old filter somehow, the heater is on, decorations are in - how long until I can move the fish over? Whenever I think its cycled once right?

If you put the old cartridge in the new filter with the water hitting the old cartridge first and you have put most (hopefully almost all) of the old gravel you should let it cycle about an hour and id say youll be ok.

Success! I managed to get the old filter cartridge in the new filter and let it go for a few hours. After that I moved the fish over.

All seems to be well, and the water is very clear now - even after 2 days or so which surprised me.

How long I should wait before adding new fish?
How long I should wait before adding new fish?

Thanks for everyone's help on the new tank and the move, I appreciate it.

Back
Top Bottom