A few weird Problems

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
+1 to assassin snails
-100000000 to the salt idea

Snails were probably transferred in from the plants.

The water is fine. But driftwood usually does this tea bag effect the changes the water color. What you should do is change all the water so it's clear again. While that's working put the driftwood in a pot of boiling water.

You can leave the water that color if you like. It isn't harmful, but looks terrible.
Thank you that is a relief, I will do a water change and change the filter. It seems to be already clearing up.

As for the snails, probably over feeding.

What kind of snails are you having problems with?

There are pond snails and Ramshorn snails which are likely the ones which would be causing you problems.

I keep all of them on purpose but don't have population problems unless I am over feeding.

The snails are good cleaners for your tank. Even the dreaded pond snails are amazing cleaners.

I would start feeding 50% less right off. You can still feed 2x a day if you do that just only half. One person told me to think if the fish's eye like the size of it's stomach and feed only that amount.

Also what are you feeding? Flakes seem to be the snails favorite food and it is sooo easy to over feed with them. I use Hikari pellets, for which ever size/type of fish I have.

Also in regards to the white things on the moss ball, look up images of Planaria.

What did the stringy white thing look like and what size was it?

I think it's pond snails as they are slightly pointy but a bit rounded in body, and a pale ish colour, i have tons and some are a dot in size and yes I feed flake food, I shall reduce feeding also..

Thanks for help, I'll try also to get a assassin snail if I can find any in Australia at all!!

As for the snails, probably over feeding.

What kind of snails are you having problems with?

There are pond snails and Ramshorn snails which are likely the ones which would be causing you problems.

I keep all of them on purpose but don't have population problems unless I am over feeding.

The snails are good cleaners for your tank. Even the dreaded pond snails are amazing cleaners.

I would start feeding 50% less right off. You can still feed 2x a day if you do that just only half. One person told me to think if the fish's eye like the size of it's stomach and feed only that amount.

Also what are you feeding? Flakes seem to be the snails favorite food and it is sooo easy to over feed with them. I use Hikari pellets, for which ever size/type of fish I have.

Also in regards to the white things on the moss ball, look up images of Planaria.

What did the stringy white thing look like and what size was it?

Oh I also googled planeria and mine didn't look exactly like the photos it was similar.. It looked like an alien and I haven't spotted it since!!

Mine was about half Ann inch or so Snow White with a forked tail thing and very wriggly.. Thread thin it was weird!!

Check on Hydra to see if that is it. There is medication to get rid of them. They sting fish and pinching them in half makes two of them!!!

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom