a High PH

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gtwyman

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 20 gallon tank with 5 fish in it. A Dalmatian Molly, Silver Molly, 2 Albino Aeneus Cory Cats, and a Chinese Algae eater (which is moving to a 75g tank when it gets bigger). The tank is what I would call moderately planted, and all plants and fish appear like they are doing good. Temp=79F ammonia and nitrite=0ppm and nitrate = 10ppm. But my PH is 8.2! Everything looks and smells ok, so how serious a problem is this, and should I work to lower it.

It's not a problem. I've got the same pH and my fish are healthy. If your pH starts fluctuating, then that's when the problems start.

pH Levels

I have a 20 gallon tank with 5 fish in it. A Dalmatian Molly, Silver Molly, 2 Albino Aeneus Cory Cats, and a Chinese Algae eater (which is moving to a 75g tank when it gets bigger). The tank is what I would call moderately planted, and all plants and fish appear like they are doing good. Temp=79F ammonia and nitrite=0ppm and nitrate = 10ppm. But my PH is 8.2! Everything looks and smells ok, so how serious a problem is this, and should I work to lower it.

Hello Gt...

Unless you keep and breed rare fish, you don't need to worry about acidic or basic tap water. Most aquarium fish will adapt to most public water supplies. Just change out half the tank water every week or so and your plants and fish will be fine.

B

Back
Top Bottom