A little advice would be great!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Have you tried doing a full blackout on your tank for 24-48hrs? The plants would be fine but the algae usually dies

Not yet. I've cut back my photo period to 6 hours right now. Gonna see how that works first

Alright well hope that works, amano would be a great solution but if its illegal yeah, might not be worth it. Well let me know how it goes

It will usually take a few weeks, so don't expect results immediately, just be patient and give it some time

Maine doesn't specify. It's all inverts to my knowledge. My LFS is working on legislation right now to eliminate this law.

Yea just order them online. My state is the same but I've got snails and shrimp and a wide range of plants that are illegal. You just get them express posted and they arrive with no dramas. Just be smart about it and dispose of them correctly and it's all good. I let all my plants dry out in the sun before I put them in the bin and dispose of them so they have no way of getting into water ways etc

As mentioned above, the lighting (duration) is the issue.
As for the levels, you said they are solid...can you elaborate? Also, phosphate is not the culprit.
Kuhlis won't eat MTS (too big). MTS are somewhat self limiting; just like with most snails, excess food can lead to a population explosion. I have had them by the hundreds in my tank. They are actually good for a sand substrate as they like to burrow.
Just to update about the MTS. I actually watched one of my kuhli's eating a snail and saw another empty shell on th tank as well. I think I have my own little assassins. Now that they have the taste for it.

As for the algae, I think the photo period is doing the trick. The plants seem to be doing better and I haven't seen an increase in algae. I'll keep this photo period for a while then slowly increase it.

I have hundreds of baby mystery snails in a tank at the moment and the Khuli's just bump them out of the way. IMG_9940.jpg

I have hundreds of baby mystery snails in a tank at the moment and the Khuli's just bump them out of the way. View attachment 300621
They never bothered with the snails before. Then after I changed the feeding schedules and the light period, it seems to have triggered their predatory instincts. If they have any of course.

Back
Top Bottom