A Quick "Prime" Question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I use either an eye dropper or a plastic syringe when dosing any of the seachem products for my small tanks.

Pharmacies will usually give them out for free.

As to the original question, I used to use the cap to measure and often overdosed with no ill effects on my 10 gal tank. I just decided I was too cheap to waste any product and decided to measure more carefully.

Thanks Everyone...

Aside from doing the dropper thing, are we pretty much in concensus that a half a capful of Prime is good to treat a 10 gallon tank?

I just feel that with a half a cap, which is a double dose in this situation, you will be safer if there happens to be a higher concentration of chlorine in that water.

From the Seachem Website
Use 1 capful (5 mL) for each 200 L (50 gallons*) of new water. This removes approximately 1 mg/L ammonia, 4 mg/L chloramine, or 5 mg/L chlorine. For smaller doses, please note each cap thread is approx. 1 mL. May be added to aquarium directly, but better if added to new water first. If adding directly to aquarium, base dose on aquarium volume. Sulfur odor is normal. For exceptionally high chloramine concentrations, a double dose may be used safely. To detoxify nitrite in an emergency, up to 5 times normal dose may be used. If temperature is > 30 °C (86 °F) and chlorine or ammonia levels are low, use a half dose.

All I need to know, essentially, is if a half a cap will work each time I do a water change on a 10 gallon...

What I do is refill the smaller flip top bottle with a big one and then always use an extra drop or two to hep prevent an under dose.

And yes, a half cap would be fine.

Back
Top Bottom