A Quick Query Regarding the AquaClear 110's Flow Control...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Osage_Winter

Aquarium Advice FINatic
The return flow on my 110 appears to be ridiculously strong and forceful at the maximum setting of the adjustable valve (the position all the way to the left, according to the manual), causing an extremely powerful current in the tank that my goldies are seemingly having a bit of a hard time navigating. I tried playing with the control knob a bit last night, and even on the "minimum" flow position -- to the extreme right -- there does not appear to be a difference between the positions in terms of the flow, from what I could tell...

Is this common with the ACs? Should I be seeing a greatly reduced return output when I move the knob all the way to minimum? No matter where I position it, the water flow doesn't seem to reduce...it remains the same, as far as I can tell...

are you saying the filter flow is too much for the fish or it is making to much of a splashing noise?

are you saying the filter flow is too much for the fish or it is making to much of a splashing noise?

No -- it's not the noise. It's the current/flow inside the tank, where the return force "splashes" under the water...it's causing a wild current that's making the (plastic) plants wave and move aggressively, and the fish seem to be blown about by it when they pass the area...

The issue is, though, when I move that stalk that's supposed to control the output flow, I don't really note a difference in the current...it's as if the current doesn't get any weaker, or smaller, when I move the stalk into the minimum position (all the way to the right)...:confused:

the adjuster thing doesnt do a whole with with both of my aquaclears (a 50 and 20) but with my 50 i put this on there Step-By-Step Filter Baffle to help stop the strong current because i have female bettas in there and they were being blown around. it works really well. i also duct taped the top part to the cover of the filter

Thanks for the feedback JOMA.

So, you're saying that what I am experiencing is normal -- that is, no matter what the position of the flow stalk, the flow doesn't seem to even change?

mine works a little bit, when you move the tube thing see if the part of the tube that goes back down into the filter actually moves away from the propeller input, if that doesnt move then the flow wont be slowed.

mine works a little bit, when you move the tube thing see if the part of the tube that goes back down into the filter actually moves away from the propeller input, if that doesnt move then the flow wont be slowed.

Yeah -- it seems like it MAYBE works a LITTLE bit when I push it to the extreme reduced flow position...but it does appear to be "moving" that tube away from the propeller input from what I can tell.

Does this mean I have a defective unit? :(

Do you recommend just leaving it on the maximum flow position, or perhaps in the "middle" somewhere?

Yeah -- it seems like it MAYBE works a LITTLE bit when I push it to the extreme reduced flow position...but it does appear to be "moving" that tube away from the propeller input from what I can tell.

Does this mean I have a defective unit? :(

Do you recommend just leaving it on the maximum flow position, or perhaps in the "middle" somewhere?

not , really, probably because the 110 has such a powerful motor moving the tube a lot might not slow it down much. if you use that filter baffle i linked you can probably almost run full blast, my 50 does and you wouldnt even be able to tell. the bottle does break the surface a little but its not very noticeable.

not , really, probably because the 110 has such a powerful motor moving the tube a lot might not slow it down much.

Is this in response to my question about me having a defective unit, or if I should leave it turned to the middle?

if you use that filter baffle i linked you can probably almost run full blast, my 50 does and you wouldnt even be able to tell. the bottle does break the surface a little but its not very noticeable.

I will consider it; thanks for the suggestion.

What I am wondering, though, and hence the point of the thread, was if this tends to be a "normal" behavior for the AquaClear line -- and according to what you're telling me, even your smaller models do this...

Is it just because of their powerful motors? I mean, that's not a BAD thing at all, but...

mine work okay but the smaller one definitely changes the most in flow so im thinking its just that the motor sucks so much water moving the inlet tube doesnt effect it much

I understand.

What would be your recommendation for a setting, then? Should I leave it on maximum even though there's a hard current?

if your fish are being blown around and avoiding that part of the tank then i would lower it, i would also test your water after a couple of days to make sure slowing the flow isnt hurting your water quality.

if your fish are being blown around and avoiding that part of the tank then i would lower it

Okay; but as I said, the knob isn't really making much of a difference, if at all, so...

i would also test your water after a couple of days to make sure slowing the flow isnt hurting your water quality.

Could the "lowered" flow really "harm" water quality that much?

idk what to do about the flow not being lowered.

i dont think it would harm the water quality but its always good to just make sure. just precautions.

Thanks.

Anyone else with any suggestions or insight in terms of the AquaClears' flow control?

Back
Top Bottom