A strange question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

WayBel2004

Aquarium Advice Regular
Tank info: 20 gallon community tank with an aquaclear 30 gallon filter.

2 red platy's, 2 black mollies, 2 ornate rainbow, 2 dalmation mollies and one pleco.

Our tank has been cycled for about 3 months now. My husband and I decided to change up the aquascaping last week. We bought some new plastic plants (aqueon brand), put a bubble wall in the back, and purchased a large cave with coral for the center. The day after we finished I tested the water and my Ammonia was at .25 and PH at 7.6. Did a PWC and tested again the next day. Same reading, another PWC same reading the next day. This is now bothering me since we had no ammonia problems with the tank before. 2 days ago I took the new cave out and replaced it with our old small pirate ship. The next day the ammonia and PH are normal. What gives?

Do you think it's possible that this new cave is giving off ammonia? I know it sounds strange but I just thought I would ask the experts.

I highly doubt it. I'm not familiar with the chemicals involved in making those resin(?) decorations, but i've never heard of any issues with them. I'd say you've probably stirred up your substrate while changing things up and you're seeing ammonia from that. I'd just keep doing daily 50% PWC's until it drops back down.

BTW, Welcome to AA :)

Thank you. I was just checking. I really like the piece and would like to return it to the tank.

Just a thought, but an easy way to give you peace of mind about it would be to put it in a bucket of distilled water overnight then test your water parameters the next day.

We left the centerpiece in the bucket overnight. Tested the water this morning and no ammonia. I feel better now about putting it back in the tank.

Thanks for your help.

You are experienceing a mini-cycle because of the removal of older decor and stirring everything up and most likely cleaning really well at the same time...perfectly normal...you will just have to do some extra water changes but it usually settles back out fairly quickly. :)

Yup just got done with a vacuum and PWC. I'm now wondering if the bubble wands I put in the back are effecting the filter. It seems that the bubbles are pushing everything up to the top of the tank and it's not sucking up all that it could.

I don't know. I may have to move the bubble wands to the sides of the tank instead of along the back. We shall see tomorrow when I test the water.

Back
Top Bottom