AAAAAAAAAARGH!!! BANKS SUCK!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Status
Not open for further replies.

shawmutt

Aquarium Advice Addict
Ok, I'm writing this in a fit of rage, and even though this has nothing to do with fish--wait--if this goes badly I'll have to spend a ton of money and I won't be able to get the 55 gallon setup I wanted--AAAAAAAAAARGH!!!

My wife goes out to buy some food and the bank's debit card is declined. She finds this odd, as we have (for once) plenty of money in the bank. So she tries the credit card (same bank), and it is also declined, which is very odd, because we have a high credit limit and no balance. She uses our emergency card to pay and get out of the store, and comes home to tell me about it.

I call the bank to find out what's going on, and they ask to speak with my wife. They tell her the cards were reported stolen. It seems that they really screwed us up. My wife has her own account with the bank, and that account is for her own spending money. I had an account of my own, and I added my wife for a joint account. They sent my wife a new debit card for the joint account, but the card they sent was for HER spending account, not OUR joint account (and we find this out a year later?!?!) . Every time she made a purchase, it would come out of her account, which she only checks once in a great while because she only uses it once in a great while.

So what did the bank do? Well, they didn't call us to let us know something funny was up. They waited until she had lots and lots of overdrawn purchases and then cancelled the cards! There is no overdraw protection on the account. Of course, by the time I had this straightened out on the phone with a bank rep, the banks were closed, and the rep said I needed to take it up with the banks! AAAAAAAAAARGH!!!

I mean, it has happened before to me--once a paycheck didn't go through on the right day and I overdrew something like 10 times. I bought little things like gas and snacks (thinking the money was there) on a trip I took, but every time I did I was being charged a $30 overlimit fee. Those little items cost me $300! Of course it wasn't the bank's fault. And I know that other people are being charged fees like that. If the internet is to be believed, fees like this are big business for banks. There HAS to be a way to fight banks and stop them from doing this. AAAAAAAAAARGH!!!

Thats exactly why I wont use a bank!!

Sorry to hear this has happened to you.
I totally agree.. I had something similar happen back in 95 when Wells Fargo took over First Interstate... It costed me about 4k in fees.. The bank reversed all their charges but wouldnt cover the Bounced checks that were out there.. After I got that all squared away I swore that I would never Use another bank again.. I decided recently to Try another Bank and went with US bank and Also got a Paypal account... And I am sure most of you already read what happened there... I Swear I will never use another bank again... I am a Cash and Money Order person only... For those that have been screwed over by a simple little mistake as above know exactly how it feels...

Shawmutt,
Sit down with the bank manager that you bank with... Let him know of the situation... He should be able to get you corrected somewhat...

Hope things get better..

James

OMG, that totally sucks. i'm totally oposite. i have direct deposite and i never use cash hardly. just debit card.

Also got a Paypal account... And I am sure most of you already read what happened there...

what happend?

Quote:

Also got a Paypal account... And I am sure most of you already read what happened there...

what happend?

Well I had Paypal linked up to my new found bank account.. Made a large deposit into my bank (Taxes) and spent alot of money with Paypal... Well Paypal comes back and Reverses the Funds and says I needed to Verify my Identity with them for Fraud reasons... So I sent them in my bank statement and a photo copy of my ID and they said that My Email address closely resemblembled someone elses email address therefor they assumed that the other account was mine but being used fraudulently as well... The kept the $$$ they took for my purchases.. as well as took out an Addt 900.00 from my bank account as they said that I still owed them that as well... They said that because of the other account and mine being similar they were able to directly link them together and well Screw me... Thats where my taxes went... So Now even though I was already struggling with $$$ I have to pay the 1400 back to the merchants Who I got merchandise from I also have to pay the 900 and something back to the bank along with attorney fees ect.. I filed Fraud charges with my bank but they said that in the user agreement with paypal they had every right to do that... This whole incident has forced me into bankruptcy as soon as I can even afford to file...

Advice.. Dont link your paypal account to your bank.. Only to a Credit card that is with a good company and a low limit...

James

Love Banks...Just opened another account at my mortgage bank today so I can do weekly mortgage payments instead of monthly. Cuts about $40K out in interest and about 6 years off. Good deal to me. We also collect nice interest on our savings.

I am bank friendly.

I hate my bank as well.

Bank of America.

I deposite my paycheck and it takes them almost 2 weeks to put the money in my account! I mean, For christ sakes..2 weeks after a deposite of my paycheck!

Then theres also random overdraft fees [ which magically appear even tho I have 200+ in the account ]

They also fee me out the hind end.

Banks truely are crap. I know someone who hasn't had a bank account in 5 years and continue to leave on easy street without dealing with checks, bank accounts, ect ect.

And I'm damn near tempted to join in the anti-bank movement.

In all fairness, I use a credit union and a local bank, not a national chain. I've heard bad things about them.

But until my matress pays interest, I'm banking it.

Bearfan said:
In all fairness, I use a credit union and a local bank, not a national chain. I've heard bad things about them.

But until my matress pays interest, I'm banking it.

They do, but its not usually anything you'd be INTERESTed in. :lol: :p

yes local banks are faster. payday for me is friday, but because of direct deposit and the fact that my bank is local, and my account is with the main branch, i get my money on wensday. faithfully everyweek.

Bearfan said:

Regardless of the outcome of this mess, I am definitely going to look into joining my local credit union--or at least a smaller bank. I had Allfirst, which is a huge bank to begin with, and then M&T bought them out. On the website, every branch number is now the 1-800 number.

William said:
I hate my bank as well.

Bank of America.

I deposite my paycheck and it takes them almost 2 weeks to put the money in my account! I mean, For christ sakes..2 weeks after a deposite of my paycheck!

quote]

Direct Deposit.. know it use it love it !
Free banking !
Free checking and free online bill paying !

With my banks I don't have any fees or anything too. My credit union is always fully staffed with friendly people.

When I went to open my account with my mortgage bank yesterday I almost fell out of my chair. She asked us if we wanted a checking or savings. I figure, it's only an account so we can pay our mortgage weekly, make it a savings so it collects some interest. Anything is better than nothing. She's like, "If you open a savings you have to have a minimum balance of $100 or you get assessed a fee." I told her that if my account got down to $100, I'd taken the money and split for old Mexico, and I wouldn't care about any fees. When I asked her how much the fee would be out of curiosity, she told me "$1 every quarter". I'm thinking about opening an account with $100, withdrawing $1 and watching my account drop $1 for the next 24 years 9 months. I thought that was funny...$1.

I used to bank with Washington Mutual because there were branches across the US--which is great since I have family all over the place, then I moved to Canada. I miss WM :( Great bank with friendly people!! I have also banked with E*Trade, an internet bank for years, since I have moved a lot. I really like them too and their checking accounts pay a bit of interest. I kept that account open to pay my US bills while living in Canada. Not all banks are bad :wink:

direct deposit rocks.
credit unions rock.

i used to use WAMU, but the lines were rediculous.

Well, I went to the bank, and they must have seen me like :evil: and not just merely :x. I just explained what happened, :taped: , and they took care of everything (hopefully).

I'm still looking for a smaller bank :twisted: .

William said:
I hate my bank as well.

Bank of America.

Then theres also random overdraft fees [ which magically appear even tho I have 200+ in the account ]

I know all the tricks from Bank of America, because they've caught me in all of them - but surprisingly they always come up with something new.

The something new now is online bill pay, that goes out even when we don't schedule, overdraft our account like 50cents and charge us $300 in overdraft fees. The bank reversed some of those fees after much complaining.

Another thing they do (over the phone) is tell you that once the online billpay goes out of your account, it is automatically subtracted from the balance... OK... That is, except that it comes back TWO days later, and there I sit thinking that the money there is already what is left after bill pay, only to find out that it is NOT!! Than when we go complain at the branch they tell us that it is just like a check, the money only comes out when the other side cashes it...

DARN BANKS! If they could only agree on what the rules are, if THEY don't agree with each other, then HOW should we know what is what???

I wish I knew how to go on cash only - can anyone tell me how to manage finances that without a bank?

Thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom