About to throw the towel in think fish has ich

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ody

Aquarium Advice Regular
The last 2 weeks has been a nightmare first my nems were eating all my fish I was miss sold them then I got new fish the clowns are half black and just swim at the top of the tank now I think my yellow box puffer had ich Jesus the clowns look fine apart from top swimming and the puffer has like white spots on his fins done water change have no separate tank don't no wat to do just feel like throwing the tank out the window my puffer is now lying at the bottom of the tank alive but not moving I have checked water and it is fine have waited years to do a marine tank and I'm totally gutted if I have to shut it down and out of pocket as well help please

We have to start with some data. Sounds like things are out of wack here.
Tank size
Temp and temperature stability
Salinity
Phosphate. Ammonia.
Ph
Nitrogen levels (nitrate)
Do you use RO/DI water

Obviously add no more live stock. Puffers can be hard to keep in perfect systems.

Take a deep breath and use this experience to learn. Don't just buy live stock that you want, buy live stock that you can keep healthy long term. As you are finding, it can be a true letdown when things don't just work out of the box. We all have been thru this.

The tank is a 50lnano tank all levels are correct nit cal etc temp is 79/80 I have two common clowns 3 turbo snails 3 hermit crab and 1 cleaner shrimp tank gets 1 / 2 part water changes per week everything else seams to be fine exept the clowns swimming at the top of the water the only thong I can think of is that I bought a cactus alge plant that mite be draining the c02 out if the water I also buy the salt water mixed at the lfs thanks

Not meaning to sound crass, but when asked what your levels are, we're looking for actual numbers, not "they are correct"...... if you want assistance, that response tells us nothing. Are you doing your own testing, or is the local fish store telling you "they're fine"???

You say you have a 50 liter nano? As in 13 gallons? And by yellow box puffer, are you meaning a yellow boxfish... one of these?

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Cubicus Boxfish

If so, please read that information sheet VERY carefully...... If that's what you've got, you need to get it out of there.... ASAP!! That could be the cause of your problems!!

Surface agitation with powerheads or filter returns, anything like that? Surface agitation causing ripples on the top of the water helps to aerate the water and increases oxygen levels in the water.

Yes lfs telling me the levels are ok I have some tetra strips but very accurate to late with the box fish it's RIP should find out soon enough if it was that with the problem think the problem is my LFS anything to get money and by god are they getting money from me

Yes the powerhead is dricted at the top sorry for sounding like an idiot

No problem. It can be frustrating. Do not always believe the fish store. Sometimes they know what they are talking about and sometimes they don't. Same with the forum, except we don't get paid, so all we want to do is share information.

Box fish are a advance aquarist fish that can kill other fish as it dies. I made the same mistake. He was so cute in the store, but I didn't have a clue. Nano's are very delicate. You need to be very very conservative as to what you try to keep in it. Especially at first. Get the box fish back to the LFS. Get some gobies, or blennies, maybe a shrimp or two.

Thanks for all your help guys really got frustrated yesterday with the things going wrong I suppose it's a learning curve on and upwards as they say

If you move forward, I would suggest asking questions here and see what advice you get. Odds are if you ask first, you won't be steered in the wrong direction. That box fish is a great example. If you had asked about getting one for a nano tank, you would have had people pointing out that its considered an "expert only" fish and that they need 120g tanks. Sorry about the loss, but don't give up. This is fun stuff when it's working right.

If you move forward, I would suggest asking questions here and see what advice you get. Odds are if you ask first, you won't be steered in the wrong direction. That box fish is a great example. If you had asked about getting one for a nano tank, you would have had people pointing out that its considered an "expert only" fish and that they need 120g tanks. Sorry about the loss, but don't give up. This is fun stuff when it's working right.

+1 on that. It is addictive. When people come to my home, their jaw drops. I could have a multi-million dollar Picasso on the wall and not get the same reaction. It is beyond living art. It is interactive and teaches you something every day.

Thanks again guys for the help and support

I am so glad I ran across this thread! I saw this fish at the lfs and was so close to getting it for my nano! They said it was perfect for a nano. I myself will be posting all my fish ideas before getting something. Hope your tank gets stable again!

I guess in some cases a box fish could be kept for a while in a nano, but in my opinion you should be pretty advanced in your techniques to keep him alive long term.

+1. It probably would be possible, but any fish that is supposed to end up in a larger tank and is considered "expert level" would scare me. Add the fact that it releases toxins when stressed and there's no way I'd risk it. They are great looking fish though.

I'm late to this thread, but did you cycle the tank? I have a feeling a lfs that tells you your levels are fine and that boxfish are ok in nanos wouldn't know to tell you about proper cycling of a tank.

Back
Top Bottom