AC 20 filter quit

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

shayfish

Aquarium Advice FINatic
I have an aquaclear 20 that seems to have resigned today. I unplugged it for a pwc and when I went to plug it back in... nothing. This actually has happened before but it would eventually start if I just kept trying. But it seems like this time it's done. Has anyone ever had this happen? I have had ACs last for years before, and this one is probably not a year old yet. Just wondering if this is something that can be tweaked and fixed, or if I should send it to the curb.

Have you taken the impellor out and clean it . This should be done every few months to check for wear and a good cleaning .

Has happened to me very often and it's frustrating to say the least. It always gets going after a good cleaning. Also, you can remove the entire assembly to see if it's in good shape before placing filter back on tank. Saves additional frustration.

I'm sure you've thought of this already, but if your filter doesn't start back up after a good cleaning, and you have no choice but to get a new one- put the filter media into your tank until you replace the filter. Either put it directly into the new filter, or just leave it in the tank, for a couple of weeks. If you replace with another Aquaclear, just skip the new media and use the old stuff.

I hope your filter starts working again, but if it doesn't, then keeping the media in your tank until you get a new one will at least help you avoid cycling. I have had this happen a couple of times, and it is very irritating to say the least! :p

One more thing- you said your filter was less than a year old. If you still have the receipt, it may still be under warranty. Of course, if you're like me, you trashed the receipt like a week after you bought it. :lol:

i had this happen to me actually it just stopped working. as others have said tear it all down clean it up, then pour water into the pump after re-assembly and plug it in, both my AC and Whisper came back to life and work fine

If it is cleaned, but still does not run, make sure water is filled up in the filter, then move the intake tube to the lowest flow. Take an unfolded paperclip and try moving the impeller. It may just be "stuck". If it starts spinning again, just set the flow back to full.

Well holy cow. There it goes. Too bad I already replaced it (and the new one seems louder)... :eek:

Thanks guys.

Sometimes you don't even need to clean it. Just plug it in and flick the impeller with a toothpick. Even when mine is completely clean that needs to be done at times.

You do know that having an extra filter requires you to now set up another tank, right?

/infected with MTS

I had the exact same thing happen with an aqua tech, and bought a new aqua clear 20. I never threw away the old filter, but maybe now I can fix it and convince my mom to get another 10 gal.

tropicalfish said:
If it is cleaned, but still does not run, make sure water is filled up in the filter, then move the intake tube to the lowest flow. Take an unfolded paperclip and try moving the impeller. It may just be "stuck". If it starts spinning again, just set the flow back to full.

Yup, the impeller on these stick sometimes. It's their only flaw IMHO. I just flick the impeller with a small pointed object and it goes again. Fortunately I don't have many power outages.

Tom

Back
Top Bottom