aclimating question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

big b

Aquarium Advice Activist
I have a 4 hob filters on a 10 gallon with my betta in it. I use 3 of the filters for qt. I am planning to get some fish, some shrimp, some snails. I normally just move one of the filters over to the 10 gallon that I keep empty for qt and just put one of my other fish in it to keep the cycle going but I don't have enough fish to split up to keep the cycle on my qt tank going. So my question is, can I fill my qt tanks up with dechlorinated tap water and move one of the filters over to each of the tanks so I can have an instant cycle and move the fish in? Like the fish arrive I fill the tank up and get it ready and start acclimating the fish?

"can I fill my qt tanks up with dechlorinated tap water and move one of the filters over to each of the tanks so I can have an instant cycle and move the fish in?"

It won't be instant. It will still cycle. However...this should help a lot. The cycle should be shorter and have less severe spikes. You can use prime or amquel+ to detoxify the ammonia and Nitrite every day and add the fish right away if you wish. Some people are opposed to that. I prefer to wait until the cycle. However we have all had problems and made mistakes and had to use Prime or Amquel+ to protect our fish from Ammonia and Nitrite spikes before. It works fine.

I do have a group of 9 red eye tetras. I could break up the school in to about 3 groups of 3, to keep the cycle going. If I do do the instant cycle, I need to go get some prime? If so then I'm going to petco soon. How much should it cost?

I do have a group of 9 red eye tetras. I could break up the school in to about 3 groups of 3, to keep the cycle going. If I do do the instant cycle, I need to go get some prime? If so then I'm going to petco soon. How much should it cost?

If you do "The instant Cycle" you need to tell us all how you did it because we all want to know :D Sorry, there is no such thing. Yes add prime. I don't know the retail price. I will say it is the most expensive of all the dechlorinators price wise but it is so concentrated it is also the cheapest in the long run. A little goes a long ways.

Well I found a 100ml seachem prime bottle on amazon for $10. I might go to petco this saturday.

In just getting to imagine a betta dealing with the turbulence of 4 hob filters running at the same time.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Back
Top Bottom