Aclimation question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

missie

Aquarium Advice Freak
I recently cycled my 55 gallon. My fiance put my 2 cichlids in the new 55, from a 20 gallon they were temp housed in. water parameters are exactly the same in both tanks.

amm 0
ph 8.4
nitrites 0
nitrates 10

do I still need to acclimate them, even though the parameters are the same? My fiance just switched them, without acclimating... and this question has been eating at my brain since...

both cichlids were instantly swimming around and meeting new tankmates and have not had any issues!

Thanks!

Probably not... but I always do just to be safe. Obviously, there's no point in doing it now, but any acclimation issues would be evident farily quickly.

ok, well.. what are correct methods of acclimation if you already have fish in your own tank? I only ask because If i put them in a bag as you get from the lfs, there is not oxygen in the bag...or at least not as much as they do in the lfs bags... just dont want to make any more mistakes then I have too... love those lil guys:) thanks!

I never acclimate any of my fish between tanks.... Even though params are different. But I dont move sensitive fish around...

ok, well.. what are correct methods of acclimation if you already have fish in your own tank? I only ask because If i put them in a bag as you get from the lfs, there is not oxygen in the bag...or at least not as much as they do in the lfs bags... just dont want to make any more mistakes then I have too... love those lil guys:) thanks!

I just put them in a bucket with enough water to swim, then drip them from the new tank for an hour or two.

I never acclimate any of my fish between tanks.... Even though params are different. But I dont move sensitive fish around...

Well, that makes me feel better. Even though my little guys seem happy and healthy it was bugging me that we could have made a big mistake. thanks!

Not in a matter of a few hours, no.

ok, thanks! just out of curiousity do you not like airstones or what is your reasoning behind not using them? Everyone on here urged me for quite some time about always having airstones in tanks...

Really? I think they look tacky, they're noisy, and they're unecessary. Of course, that's only an opinion. Some people like them. Gas exchange happens with surface agitation, whether that's caused from bubbles breaking the surface, or the output of a filter doing it. I just choose to let the filter do it for me.

Really? I think they look tacky, they're noisy, and they're unecessary. Of course, that's only an opinion. Some people like them. Gas exchange happens with surface agitation, whether that's caused from bubbles breaking the surface, or the output of a filter doing it. I just choose to let the filter do it for me.
One of my filters doesnt agitate the surface enough. Is there another way to do it without the airstone?

Back
Top Bottom