Acorns?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

khua

Aquarium Advice Regular
Has anyone ever put acorns in their tanks? I'm asking because I have a bunch of them in my yard and from what I've read oak wood is safe for aquariums so shouldn't the acorns be aquarium safe as well?

Not sure. Oak leaves are safe and alder cones are regularly used but I've not heard of acorns being used before.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'd be worried about rotting. Ever seen acorns after a hard rain? They get soft.

Caleb

I was just curious if they could be put to good use instead of lying on the lawn. How do I prepare oak leaves?

Stick a squirrel in the tank too! Jk lol

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

If only had extra space in my tank. LOL

Some people boil the leaves, and others just rinse and add straight to the tank.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

I would think of it as putting peanuts or almonds in a tank... would I do that? No.

Sent from my SM-G360T1 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Acorns are insanely high in tannins, which is also the reason you can't eat them without extreme boiling, but I too would be concerned about them rotting, there's a whole lot more organics involved than with the leaves.

Sent from my 5560S using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I do like the tannin look in my tanks. Think I'll just stick with the oak leaves and make an extract out of it. I always forget to order more IAL when I'm low on supply and when I go to put some more in my tank I find that I don't have enough.

I do like the tannin look in my tanks. Think I'll just stick with the oak leaves and make an extract out of it. I always forget to order more IAL when I'm low on supply and when I go to put some more in my tank I find that I don't have enough.

I was originally going to suggest boiling the acorns and saving the tannic water.

Sent from my 5560S using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I thought of that too, when you said it was really high in tannins but wasn't sure. Have you tried it before?

I wish I had oak leaves and acorns and alder cones. It's all black walnuts by me.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

I'll pick up some feeder shrimp later today or tomorrow and boil the acorns to see if they harm the shrimp before putting it into my main tank.

Well you dry them first
The fish eat the organisms that grow on them when they are in the water and it increases tannins which many types of fish need to be comfortable. It's a very common practice especially for people with bettas and blackwater species.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N900A using Tapatalk

Back
Top Bottom