Acrylic tank scratches

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

happygirl65

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello all,

I have had my 55 gal tank up and running for over a year now.

It is acrylic and it had some scratches that I tried to buff out before I ever set it up but I did not have the right stuff I guess and it was not really very effective.:(

There were some scratches inside the tank from large rocks being stored in there (I know, not smart:rolleyes:). When the tank is full the internal scratches are not really very noticeable until I am up really close or taking pictures (you can see them on my profile gallery pics)

Now after a year of this tank being in the living room with children driving cars on it upon occasion (and who knows what else while I am not looking) there are some more scratches on the outside.

I have seen an acrylic tank scratch removal kit on a couple of fish supply websites and I am wondering if it is worth the 20-30 bucks to try it.

Has anyone else tried such products?

Also could it be my imagination or could my BN's be making more scratches on the inside??? I have two BN's in there that are pretty good size now.

If the scratch removal actually works I am tempted to tear it down and start over...any suggestions/opinions????

I have tried to justify getting a larger tank because of the scratches, but since it still looks good from a distance I can't think of letting it go, knowing myself I would FIND another place to still use this one...lol.

Professionally, I've worked with this company: http://www.etr-inc.com/ The kit can be expensive, but the only system I know of that can safely remove scratches from the inside without affecting livestock.

Thank you for that link....even though they seem expensive, it is cheaper than getting a whole new tank. :) I was surprised to find a kit that can be used inside the tank full of fish. Nice :)

How does that stuff work inside the tank when it's full? Is the liquid not necessary in the process?

Depending on how deep the scratches are you can also use Novus (1, 2, 3) products to remove the finer scratches on the outside, you would need to empty the tank to use it on the inside. Novus is on the manual for Tenecour (SP??) manual for removing light scratches. If they are heavy scratches you might need to go the wetsand route which is what I believe the kits you are talkinga bout.

Actually sorry to say I didn't try it...I ended up upgrading my 55 acrylic to a 90 gal glass tank. I do plan on getting a scratch removal kit though and working on it as I plan to use the 55 later on for growing out some discus. ;) We tried before filling the 55 originally to get some out with a buffing wheel and high speed grinder...it scuffed the acrylic so it was not really a good idea. The inside scratches were not too bad when it was filled with water but a couple of deep gouges are beyong hope I think.

My kids had a field day with driving their cars on the front of the tank :mad: but at least I got an upgrade out of the deal.
Sorry I couldn't be more help.

My kids had a field day with driving their cars on the front of the tank :mad: but at least I got an upgrade out of the deal.
Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Sheesh, I'm sure your fish love that! I think there was a shell in my mag float or something because I've got some doozies. Most are pretty fine but I definitely have some deep gouges too. It is an old tank, so I guess acrylics werent made to last forever.

There are advantages in durability and weight, but if weight isn't an issue I'll definitely get a glass tank next time. I think they would be much easier to clean and keep scratch free.

Back
Top Bottom