active sponge filter

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

terryeckel

Aquarium Advice Regular
what is the purpose of an active sponge filter ? i have 2 power heads with under gravel filter and a dual filter bio-wheel. i have a bubbler also. do i need more filters ? how does the sponge filter work ?

I don't think you need more filters. I'm not positive here, but I think sponge filters are mainly for nano tanks/shrimp tanks. Also, IMO under gravel filters aren't very good, because they can get clogged and there were some other reasons why they aren't the best that i read about, but i dont remember.Sorry. Your bio-wheel filter,power heads,and airstone will be fine for filteration. You don't really even need the power heads or bubbler.

Are you referring to the 'active' sponge filters that are frequently recommended on cycling threads? The purpose of these is to jumpstart or fully cycle a tank (this depends on a few factors). Angelsplus sells these filters- they are fully cycled media same as if you took filter media from someone's cycled tank. They can be run with an airpump or cut up & placed in your current filter. Heres their link if you are seeking more information:

Sponge Filters for aquariums

Back
Top Bottom