ADA Materials and Aquariumplants.com Questions

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

DTWGulo

Aquarium Advice Activist
I'm planning a project for my 150g planted tank for the winter. I'm scrapping the old depleted dirt tank strategy and I'd like to do either an iwagumi or nature aquarium. My LFS was able to get me Dragon Stone, but they said that they've had trouble finding other types used in the Japanese styles. I'm open to suggestions. Either way, I need a LOT of rock. So, two questions:

1. Can anyone point me to an identification of the ADA stone types based on what they actually are, scientifically, rather than just things like "manten" and "seiryu", etc.? I'm hoping that if I can figure out what they are, I might be able to find something from the US that would cost less for such a big project. I'll suck it up and get the ADA stuff if I have to, but I'd rather put that cash toward lights and plants...

2. Did anyone find somewhere to get a *LOT* of this type of rock for a good price?

Also, has anyone used the substrate from Aquariumplants.com? Any -recent- reviews? They've reformulated somewhat recently, and I'm looking for info.

(Yes, I searched; didn't find anything super helpful, but maybe I missed something.)

Thanks in advance for the help!

Back
Top Bottom