Added Bio-spira with fish present

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Squado

Aquarium Advice Freak
ok, so I made the mistake of cycling a saltwater tank with fish, instead of going fishless. The levels that I am getting (Ammonia:.8, Nitrtite: .2)are not moving and I have been doing a lot of reading on Bio-spira. Is this a good idea, and can I add it while their are fish in the tank? Thanks A lot........

Please update the "my info" portion of your profile so we know a bit about your set-up. I have tried Bio-spira in the past and do not hold much stock in it. Better yet, can the fish go somewhere else while you let a good old fashioned cycle complete?

Thanks, I just currently updated my profile to the exact specs that I am using. I currently do not have another place to put the fish for the mean time. I would rather prefer not top use chemicals, its just that the water quality looks extremly poor (Brown and smells). I want to set this aquarium up correctly, im just having some trouble and need some input. Thanks for everything.

Biospira is fine to put in the tank while fish are in the tank. Despite some beliefs and what BioSpira claims, you cannot cycle a tank over night with it or even in a week with it. However, it is a great product to use if you get in a jam where something in your tank has gone wrong and you cycle is interrupted. I would strongly recommend it in such a situation because it will save your fish in the event of an ammonia/nitrite spike.

IMO, bio-spira is the biggest waste of money you can have when starting a new tank. Whileit will not harm the fish in the tank, it will do little to prepare it for long-term habbitation. It really sounds like you need to return all the fish to the LFS and let your tank cycle natually and properly BEFORE adding livestock. It is the hardest part of the hobby but also the most important.
btw, Welcome to AquariumAdvice.com!!! :smilecolros: :smilecolros: :smilecolros:

I have always been very pleased with the Marineland/Aq. Systems products but be careful, I have been fooled by all the wonderful things Bio Spira claims to do, and all the great reviews I read but I still had high Ammonia and Nitrite spikes and it took the same time to cycle, 4-5 weeks. That was with freshwater fish but they still suffered and I was very upset. If you can’t take the fish back I would recommend pre mixing a lot of sw and doing massive water changes.
Hth
Mike

Thanks for all of the good feedback. I bought the fish from a local petco and ill check tomorrow to see if they do accept returns on the fish. I think im just gonna let the tank run its natural course and hope for the best for the fish, not try to sound cruel. As for bio-spira, I think ill take your guys advice and only try to use it in case of a spike. Once again, thanks for the feedback, its good to know that this site is so dependable...

jm dont remember if ive asked before but what type of fish is that in your avatar its beautiful

Its a scribble angel, i got him about 2 months ago. My favorite fish by far.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom