Adding a new filter after a cycle...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Autopsywoman

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello again,

My tank finally cycled again after months of waiting. Now, both of my filters have decided to start acting up. I was wondering if it wasn't sand getting into the motors somehow, as they are both functioning but they are rattling so loud I can't sleep at night because the noise comes through my earplugs! I was considering getting a new filter just to be safe, but I don't want to lose the beneficial bacteria that I've built up on the bio-bags and bio-wheel so I'd considered buying identical filters and just putting my stuff back into them. At the same time, I am hesitant to buy the same kind of filter and was considering a canister or under-gravel filter and leaving the others on until they conk out. Any suggestions on an efficient and long-lasting filter system that will keep a good, consistent bacteria bed?

A canister or sump would be the most efficient, how big is your tank? A huge portion of your good bacteria is located in places other than the filters. You might experience a mini cycle if you got a new canister and set it up and you could seed that with media that you already have. If there aren't fish in there yet I would consider canister.

There are fish in it, but I was thinking I could leave the biowheel filter on for a bit longer as it seems to have quieted down a little. The whisper filter is the one that is really noisy now. We tried rinsing it but that didn't help. I was seriously considering a cannister filter - it is a 55 gallon tank. There are some that are combination filters (cannister with biowheel). Then if I can figure it out, we might add an under-gravel filter too... that can run without much negative impact on the fish. I didn't want to have too many filters at once creating too much water flow, but if the cannister filter doesn't create a waterfall effect like the mechanical filters do, that might not be an issue.

There really isnt such a thing as too much filtration. And it depends on what fish you have as far as to much current. I would never purchase an undergravel filter. They break easy and are inefficient. I would buy a marineland c-360 canister filter. They go for around 160 on ebay. Or 200 at drsfostersmith.com Set up your canister with your current filters for about two weeks. After that you should be able to remove both HOB filters and run only the quiet reliable c360. This will make sure your tank stays cycled and give you the filtration you need.

Thanks for the suggestions. I actually bought a Rena Xp3 filter today (it was on sale for $179). It moves 350gph and is for up to 100 gallons, so it should be more than sufficient for my tank size. My nitrites have also gone down to 0 again so things are in order. I will probably assemble the canister filter tomorrow and remove the whisper (that is yelling instead of whispering). I'm sure my fish will thank me.

Hopefully this will end the long saga of my wacky tank.

If you can bear it I would put the canister on along with your already established filters for as long as possible. Its the only way ensure no loss of neccessary bacteria. Just a thought.

Oh yeah, we talked about that. We have a Penguin biowheel filter that is still running sufficiently (even though it is a little noisy too). We are keeping that in, and if I don't keep the Whisper filter I will probably take the bio-bags out of it and put the media in the new filter to "seed" it. I have already gone through two cycling processes and I don't want to have to do it again.

Back
Top Bottom