Adding chlorine on purpose?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

squirrilah fish

Aquarium Advice Addict
Doing a major clean since I got home from Vaca, and I have a few problems. Diatoms, possibly bacterial issues.

In the middle of a deep clean, and was thinking of adding untreated tap water until I fill the tank, and then adding prime exposing them to chlorine for possibly 15 minutes or so. Also might have trace amounts of copper.

How dangerous is this idea?

I think it'll take more than just tap water to kill off any kind of bacteria or diatoms. a 1:20 bleach solution would be more effective.

The copper thing is another issue, but really just depends on if its enough to be toxic.

I took everything out of the tank, scrubbed and bleached it, except for my sponges. It was overdue.

I did fill the tank with just tap water and added prime after. They did not like it, but it did seem to help.

Everyone is looking much better this morning, I don't think I have bacterial issues, just some nibbled scales.

You do realize that you are going to have to go through a cycling process again.
Taking everything out and cleaning/bleaching it, then filling the tank with untreated water, you just killed off your population of beneficial bacteria.
Everything may "look" fine now, but I very strongly recommend that you cut back on feeding and begin daily water testing for ammonia, nitrite, nitrate.
I hope the sponges you kept "dirty" have enough of a bacterial population to handle the bio-load until the rest of the tank can get re-established.
Cleaning everything in a tank all at one time is one of the worst things you can do except in the case of obvious poisoning.

"except for sponges" would imply that care was taken not to kill off bb colony???

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G900A using Aquarium Advice mobile app

"except for sponges" would imply that care was taken not to kill off bb colony???

Yeah, but there is still going to be a period of "cycling" to get the system back up to where it was before.
Like I said, I hope the BB retained in the sponges will be enough to handle the bio-load.
OP, just keep on eye on water quality/chemistry.

Yes, exactly. And I do tests daily, and generally keep things pretty well looked after, I don't know what happened while I was on vacation. I have never had Diatoms in this tank before, but it had been a few months since I did a deep clean. I usually do one once a month, but lately I've just been content doing water changes. Nitrates where at 20 this morning, gonna do another 50% change tomorrow.

Yes, exactly. And I do tests daily, and generally keep things pretty well looked after, I don't know what happened while I was on vacation. I have never had Diatoms in this tank before, but it had been a few months since I did a deep clean. I usually do one once a month, but lately I've just been content doing water changes. Nitrates where at 20 this morning, gonna do another 50% change tomorrow.

Sounds like your on top of it then.
I just can't tell you how many times I've heard
"I don't understand why they are all dying, I cleaned everything in the tank and the filters just a few days ago?"

Sounds like your on top of it then.
I just can't tell you how many times I've heard
"I don't understand why they are all dying, I cleaned everything in the tank and the filters just a few days ago?"

Ya, unfortunately I have heard that on here a lot too. My system is over filtered. The 2 sponge air filters the sponge from my Fluval Aquaclear and the Biowheel on my Marineland I did not touch at all. Other than a quick rinse in tank water. I added some stability too, but yes I will keep an eye out for signs of cycling.

Back
Top Bottom