adding fish after cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Jonny2007

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am cycling at 4ppm, what would be a safe number of fish to add after my cycle is finished?:fish1:

Thanks, would cycling at 4ppm be good enough for, 2 small Jack Dempesys, and about 10 various cories?

Jonny2007 said:
Thanks, would cycling at 4ppm be good enough for, 2 small Jack Dempesys, and about 10 various cories?

How big is the tank? Do you mean you are adding the ammonia in the same time you're adding the fish? Is it already cycled?

I don't know about the JD/cory thing. I've attempted it with albino and paleatus and the JD's just treated them like feeders. They never actually ate them but they chased/nipped like they wanted to, so I didn't try after that. Brochis splendens might work at adult size, but I'm just guessing.

Jonny2007 said:
They ignore the cories, would it be safe to add them all when it's cycled?

Depends. If the Dempseys are full grown and not bothering them it shouldn't be a problem. Cichlids suffer from multiple personality disorder, I've seen cichlids that are plain mean and rotten and some shy and passive.

They are babies right now, I keep an eye on them, they seem way more concerned abt each other.

The idea with fishless cycling is that after its completed you can add your entire stock at once.

What about the bioload adjustment? Are you specifically talking about small tanks or just any tank? Personally, I'm having a hard time with this one if the suggestion is for all stock/all tank sizes.

P.S. You know I love you dearly..... I'm just concerned for newbies who might crash their cycles.

Haha yeah I thought you were to add fish gradually too before that thread for the bio adjustment.

But if you do a fishless cycle with 4ppm of ammonia, I guess enough bacteria builds up to break that down, and your fish don't produce as much ammonia as there is in a fishless cycle. Idk

"If" you use ammonia to cycle the tank. Some use raw shrimp, some use flake food. Fishless cycling isn't done just one way.

LyndaB said:
"If" you use ammonia to cycle the tank. Some use raw shrimp, some use flake food. Fishless cycling isn't done just one way.

The OP stated in the first post he is cycling at 4ppm. The same concept applies with whatever method you use...it is about the ppm, not the source of ammonia. A couple sprinkles of fish food that amounts to cycling at .5ppm is different as far as bio-load...but you can achieve whatever ppm you desire based on the amount you add.

Again, it's up to each individual to choose how to stock, and some still believe in doing it slowly...but my personal opinion and experience shows there are no issues. Personally I'd recommend against fishless cycling (even though I'm one of the biggest advocates) and promote fish-in if someone wants to add 1-2 fish at a time over weeks or months to stock the tank.

Wow, that's a point of view I have never heard before on any of the forums I belong to.... I really appreciate you sharing it with me. Thanks.

Back
Top Bottom