Adding new fish to established tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MunchieBunchie

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have a 70L (approx 19G) tank with a Dwarf Gourami and six Ember Tetras which I'd like to increase to 10, and also introduce 10 Cardinal Tetras.

What's the best way to introduce them to the tank; I'm thinking putting them in all at once will be too much so should I increase the Ember Tetras by adding 4 new guys first, and then add a school of 10 Cardinals - but again am wondering if 10 at once might be too much?

The Ember Tetras and my Dwarf Gourami get along really well - even thou the Embers chase each other around all the time (they are hilarious to watch; I've got 2 females and 4 males - the females are definitely the heads of the family, they don't seem to bother each other much but they certainly give the boys a run for their money!) and my Dwarf Gourami is really interactive - he'll come to the front of the tank when we call him and is a complete show off whenever he has a audience! I want to make sure the new tank mates will fit in without upsetting anyone so if you think there maybe something else which will compliment the tank more than the Cardinals I'd love to hear suggestions!

I would not increase the ember tetras to 10. As the 4 new ones you add will most likely not shoal with the 6 you already have in your tank but it's fine as long as you don't mind the 10 not shoaling together. For the other tetras it will be fine to add 10 of them at the same time. That way they will all shoal together. Hope this helps.

Thanks that helps a lot, I hadn't thought about that which in hindsight I should have as there is a obvious 'pecking' order with the Embers!
Cheers :)

Thanks that helps a lot, I hadn't thought about that which in hindsight I should have as there is a obvious 'pecking' order with the Embers!
Cheers :)

I just got 5 neons to add to my shoal and they all joined up instantly and have been together since

I never increase my stock by more than 10-15% in one go. The filters need to adjust to the increased loading. Adding too many fish in one go can trigger a mini-cycle.
If you want to introduce a new shoal of 10 then just monitor the water daily for about 5 days to check the filter is coping. You might have to partial water change a bit to start with.
10 Cardinals will look fab.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom