Adding plants to an established tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SuperFly426

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have a 10 gallon tank that's been established for about three months now. I added three little plants I bought at Petsmart about a month ago, but after doing some research, I've realized that I should have put down a soil then gravel. Right now they're just sitting in gravel. They don't seem to be doing too well either.

If I wanted to add all new pants, what should I do without having to re-cycle? Could I just clear the tank, put soil down, then re-add the fish?

Any help would be greatly appreciate, as I am new to all of this!

Thanks! :)

I have a 10 gallon tank that's been established for about three months now. I added three little plants I bought at Petsmart about a month ago, but after doing some research, I've realized that I should have put down a soil then gravel. Right now they're just sitting in gravel. They don't seem to be doing too well either.

If I wanted to add all new pants, what should I do without having to re-cycle? Could I just clear the tank, put soil down, then re-add the fish?

Any help would be greatly appreciate, as I am new to all of this!

Thanks! :)

A. What kind of plants ( pics may help ) :)
B. what kind of light bulb exactly ( pic of the writing on the bulb may help )

You can grow some easy plants in gravel. You need at least 2" of Gravel. You can add Root Tabs. Stick them deep under the substrate.

Also get some Flourish Comprehensive.
Liquid Fert.

I use these in my screw in fixtures
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B003QZF7JA/ref=mp_s_a_1?qid=1338862052&sr=8-1

Here's a picture of the bulb box and plants. Can I stay with gravel? If not can I leave the fish in the tank when converting to sand?

ForumRunner_20130227_091940.jpg

ForumRunner_20130227_091950.jpg

Here's a picture of the bulb box and plants. Can I stay with gravel? If not can I leave the fish in the tank when converting to sand?

You can stay with gravel for now. Later if you want to add sand or switch to sand I know people here can share how they did it.

That bulb looks ok. Does it give a Kelvin rating ?
6,500K is what I aim for, other numbers work.

You can stay with gravel for now. Later if you want to add sand or switch to sand I know people here can share how they did it.

That bulb looks ok. Does it give a Kelvin rating ?
6,500K is what I aim for, other numbers work.

So I can stay with gravel? Should I add substrate under the gravel?

Also I believe the bulbs are 6500K.

Also any plant recommendations for my tank? I have 7 red minor tetras and two shrimps.

Just leave your gravel as it is for now. Get your root tabs and the liquid fert but I also recommend getting a bottle of API Leaf Zone to provide potassium and iron. Using both types of ferts will be better IMO.

In your tank I would look for some Crypts, Anubia's, and Java ferns (regular or Wendilov). You could get a small piece of DW and attach the anubia's or java ferns onto the DW as they grow better that way. Also try to find some water sprite or wisteria for your tank as that is a very good option.

All of my tanks have gravel & I am ALWAYS adding more plants. What's worked best for my are swords, java ferns & anachris & I have some plants that I have no idea what they are. My lighting is whatever was stock in the hood when I bought the tank kits (3 10g, 1 5.5g & 1 46g). I have added root tabs & will dose with Flourish & excel periodically.

Back
Top Bottom