Adding salt to a freshwater tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My guess is that your injured JD is being chased by one or both of the other JD' s. Easy to get banged up when that happens. Fungus takes root on damaged tissue. Salt might work as an antiseptic. IMO, just plain clean water is the best cure.

My guess is that your injured JD is being chased by one or both of the other JD' s. Easy to get banged up when that happens. Fungus takes root on damaged tissue. Salt might work as an antiseptic. IMO, just plain clean water is the best cure.
Thanks for your input. I've watched the JDs interact with eachother a lot and the get along very well I'd say. The biggest one is a blue JD and is very mellow , the pink/gold JD is more aggressive but doesn't chase the other fish, not even the tetras or danios, the smallest JD I believe is a runt or a very slow growing female and I watched her rub against the floor and rocks. So I think that's what's messing her up but as fast as the fungus appears it is gone the next day.

So I have a grossly over stocked 75 gallon sa/ca tank. It's all Male fish so there is rarely any fighting. 6 different type cichlids including 5 electric blue acara, one is almost 3 years old and pushing 5.5 ". Anyways.. this tank should be a disgusting mess, it's not.. no algae on the glass, the dw is covered in algae but that's a plus on this setup. I do a 70% wc every 7-9 days and I only lose fish to old age. It's the pasture/farm tank. I clean the filter every 2 weeks and the nitrates stay in check. Everyone is active and healthy. I've had the wc thing beaten into my head, when I started up the hobby it was the answer.. "when in doubt flush it out." "The solution to pollution is dilution" it has served me well over the years. Fish stick around a while these days..

So I have a grossly over stocked 75 gallon sa/ca tank. It's all Male fish so there is rarely any fighting. 6 different type cichlids including 5 electric blue acara, one is almost 3 years old and pushing 5.5 ". Anyways.. this tank should be a disgusting mess, it's not.. no algae on the glass, the dw is covered in algae but that's a plus on this setup. I do a 70% wc every 7-9 days and I only lose fish to old age. It's the pasture/farm tank. I clean the filter every 2 weeks and the nitrates stay in check. Everyone is active and healthy. I've had the wc thing beaten into my head, when I started up the hobby it was the answer.. "when in doubt flush it out." "The solution to pollution is dilution" it has served me well over the years. Fish stick around a while these days..
That's great! I was told that your tank might be thrown into a cycle if you to remove 50% or more so I've just been taking about 35% out and do it every Sundau.
I just checked my nitrates and they are at 20 ppm which isn't so bad but I just did the water change yesterday. Sounds like a cool tank, let me check it out if you have a pic. I have a baby JD in the 10 gallon below the 12520180627_175155.jpg

That's great! I was told that your tank might be thrown into a cycle if you to remove 50% or more so I've just been taking about 35% out and do it every Sundau.
I just checked my nitrates and they are at 20 ppm which isn't so bad but I just did the water change yesterday. Sounds like a cool tank, let me check it out if you have a pic. I have a baby JD in the 10 gallon below the 125View attachment 309520
Oh man.. that's bad info. Your water column holds nothing but fish poo, tds and more stuff.. anything beneficial to the nitrogen cycle will be stuck to hardscape, sand and filter media. Filter media seems to be best. If changing water stalled cycles my 90 g discus tank would have died so many times. I was doing daily 90% wcs for way to long haha. Now it's a modest 80% wc every other day;)

Oh man.. that's bad info. Your water column holds nothing but fish poo, tds and more stuff.. anything beneficial to the nitrogen cycle will be stuck to hardscape, sand and filter media. Filter media seems to be best. If changing water stalled cycles my 90 g discus tank would have died so many times. I was doing daily 90% wcs for way to long haha. Now it's a modest 80% wc every other day;)
Wait you do 80% water changes every day??

No. I was doing 90% changes daily for a few months but now it's about 80% every other day or 3 times a week.
Oh wow that's still a lot. I'm gonna still do one a week but take it down to 50% and see if things improve

Back
Top Bottom