Adding stock to 55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Lilmack07

Aquarium Advice Freak
Right now I own:
Yellow neon tetra x3
Gourami x2
P.catfish
Common pleco ( rehoming)
Albino pleco
Mystery snail x2

For sure adding to the tank:
Neon tetra x3

Fish I'm interested in:
Electric blue jack Dempsey
German blue rams
Zebra or yoyo loaches
Cory's
Discus
Any suggestions?

Not sure if the jack Dempsey would get along in a community tank thou.

Lilmack07 said:
Right now I own:
Yellow neon tetra x3
Gourami x2
P.catfish
Common pleco*
Albino pleco
Mystery snail x2

Neon tetra x3

Fish I'm interested in:
Electric blue jack Dempsey*
German blue rams
Zebra or yoyo loaches
Cory's
Any suggestions?

You are way overstocked. I marked with a * anything that won't work or that needs to go from your tank. I'm not sure what gouramis and what p.cat you have so I'm not sure.

Do you have dwarf groumai's?
If you do, you aren't over stocked. Agreed that the Dempsey won't work. The pleco will eventually need a new home along with the cat depending on his species.
I would beef up the tetra schools and change the cat to a school of cories.

The fish I'm interested in aren't in the tank and I didn't plan on adding them all or if any of them. Just looking for ideas of what I could add.
The gouramis are a dwarf and a pale blue. The catfish is a pictious( I'm not sure how to spell it) I figured the Dempsey wouldn't work but I thought I would ask just to make sure. I know the common pleco will out grow the tank.

The fish I'm interested in aren't in the tank and I didn't plan on adding them all or if any of them. Just looking for ideas of what I could add.
The gouramis are a dwarf and a pale blue. The catfish is a pictious( I'm not sure how to spell it) I figured the Dempsey wouldn't work but I thought I would ask just to make sure. I know the common pleco will out grow the tank.

I realize that, but the pleco alone pushes you over the bioload edge.

I don't think I would add rams till after rehoming your two bottom dwellers. Had a common pleco for 2 years in a 29 he was about 6-7" when he got a new home. But that was after he killed his lifelong tank mate an angel fish. Long story short, until he's rehomed I'd keep smaller agile mid and top swimming fish. Then no territory dispute :)

The pleco is about 3 to 3.5 inches long. So you are saying with the fish I own I am overstocked already in the 55 gallon? They are all in a
20 gallon at the moment. ( yes i know overstocked I rushed into the hobby. But I've done lots of water changes to keep it healthy) I got the 55 as a Xmas present.

What if I got rid of my common pleco? Would the leave me room to add anything?

I don't think I would add rams till after rehoming your two bottom dwellers. Had a common pleco for 2 years in a 29 he was about 6-7" when he got a new home. But that was after he killed his lifelong tank mate an angel fish. Long story short, until he's rehomed I'd keep smaller agile mid and top swimming fish. Then no territory dispute :)

The rams would be the last. I know they need to have a well established tank and what not. My pleco can get pretty mean. I've seen him give my frogs whiplash fer sure.

Awe poor froggies. I always wanted some. They are so stinking cute. If you got the pleco a new home and your water parms are good you can add. To give you an idea in my 55 I have the following (note it is heavily planted):
15 neons
6 cherry barbs (will be 10)
2 panda cories 1albino (will be upped to 5)
12 ghost shrimp
1 male betta
(Get ready for me to be told this is bad ;) ) 2 female bettas
5 oto's
1electric blue ram desperately seeking female (wish me luck)

Water parms are 0 ammonia 0 nitrites 5ppm nitrates steady ph at 8.
They all actually get along very well. The bettas often sleep in the same area. But have many hiding places if needed. Mr betta is afraid of the ghost shrimp. He's a wimp. :)

Would still recommend removing the cat as well. They get large and can eat smaller fish.

Lilmack07 said:
Right now I own:
Yellow neon tetra x3
Gourami x2
P.catfish
Common pleco
Albino pleco
Mystery snail x2

Neon tetra x3

Fish I'm interested in:
Electric blue jack Dempsey
German blue rams
Zebra or yoyo loaches
Cory's
Any suggestions?

I would get rid of both Plecos and Pictus cat. Also rehome a gourami.

Then you would have more flexibility to your tank.

I would wait an get the rams and a school of Corys

Also you might have a hard time introducing anything with the gouramis in the tank anyway. They're kind of aggressive

Thank you for all your suggestions! :) I think ill just stick with what I have.

Understand! :) the pleco and cat give you a great excuse to get 100 gallon down the road.

Of course! The 55 gallon isn't even up and running yet. Plan in having it going next month. It will be my first planted tank and I plan on working towards a heavily planted tank. And yes! I love the excuse for a 100 gallon tank hahaha.

Well after thinking and playing with aqadvisor i am going to rehome my common pleco. With the filtration I plan on getting it says that would put me at 47% stocked. I know the catfish can become a problem but he isn't one now so I'm not going to worry about him for now. If he starts acting up I can rehome him and I think my gouramis should be fine. I do plan on having a nice planted tank. So plenty of hiding spots.

The planted tanks are a lot of fun. I know it's hard to give them up. But sometimes its the best. Aq advisor is fun to play with!

Yea i am very excited to do this as a planted tank. I have a 5g that i have a few plants in, but ive never done a fully planted tank. So it should be an adventure. lol Yes it is hard, my boyfriend wasnt too happy to hear about it either. He really likes pleco, but i think its better to just get him a new home now instead of waiting till he is huge. It is, that was my first time playing with it.

Back
Top Bottom