Adding store bought ammonia to cycle tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ManannanMacLir

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I'm wondering if it would be possible to start a fishless cycle simply by pouring pure ammonia bought from a store into the tank's water? Would the beneficial bacteria break down the ammonia into nitrite and therefore begin the cycle?

You absolutely can. Just be sure it pure ammonia no detergents or preumes added. Ace Hardware sells it as "Janitorial Strength".

Thank you for your advice. How much ammonia would you add to a 45 gallon tank to start the cycle?

Add ammonia to bring levels near 5ppm. When it drops to 0ppm, if you see nitrites building, then only add up to 1-2ppm. When ammonia reaches 0ppm, keep bumping up to 1-2ppm until both ammonia and nitrite both go to 0ppm in under 24 hours. Then you are cycled.

ManannanMacLir said:
I'm wondering if it would be possible to start a fishless cycle simply by pouring pure ammonia bought from a store into the tank's water? Would the beneficial bacteria break down the ammonia into nitrite and therefore begin the cycle?

Thats exactly what I just finished doing. Poured in about 1/8 cup of pure ammonia in my 90 gal. to bring levels up to 5 ppm's. (HOLD YER NOSE, MAN!!!). It took about 2 weeks to clear up and break down.
Rich

what other names does pure ammonia come under other than janitorial strength? i tried to get someone to do a fishless but they buckled under the lack of patience and told me that pure ammonia was hard to come by in the uk. i'm curious for my sake just in case i need to do a fishless in the future.

Back
Top Bottom