Adding tiger barbs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Bogben14

Aquarium Advice Regular
When adding tiger barbs to my 37 gallon tank, should I add all 7 at once or break it up? All I currently have in there right now is 3 upside down catfish and some decór.

For a 37 gallon, I say no. If you just check your water regularly then probably not. Well, actually, since you only have 3 fish in there now, it may not be a good idea. If you're okay monitoring ammonia levels for a week or 2 (daily tests) and doing water changes every now and then then it would be okay. But just be prepared.

If very recently, i would wait afew more week and then add the barbs and then keep an eye on your parameters afterwards for a week like fishperson said.

If its only been set up a week i would wait a month or 2 to be honest. Let your tank cycle for awhile.

No no it's cycled fully! I've had the catfish in for a week

No its not, cycling a tank takes afew months. To cycle a tank means to build up needed bacteria in the filter that brakes down the ammonia produced in fish waste. It doesnt mean just let the water sit in the tank with the heater and filter on.

Do you have a test kit? You need one.

Okay thank you. I have gotten the water tested at pet smart twice but plan on buying one soon.

Okay thank you. I have gotten the water tested at pet smart twice but plan on buying one soon.

Petsmart will tell you anything for a sale. Forget everything pet smart have told you, isnt not as simple as buy a tank, fill it with water and dump the fish in. Post a cycling thread in freshwater and you get some good answers, describe your tank, its size, the fish you have and how long its been set up, there will be lots of people to help. Id run you through it but its bedtime for me here in UK.

No its not, cycling a tank takes afew months. To cycle a tank means to build up needed bacteria in the filter that brakes down the ammonia produced in fish waste. It doesnt mean just let the water sit in the tank with the heater and filter on.

Do you have a test kit? You need one.

I think they mean that they cycled it and then added the catfish a week ago. But your right, its not very established, so the OP should give it a while, like a week or two.

OP: If you have to add them soon, then go ahead and add 2-3 now, then 2-3 more until you have 7. If you can wait, then wait at least a few more weeks (IMO it would be helpful), a month being good enough to get most of the ammo swings handled.

Back
Top Bottom