Advice needed please!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

sammygirluk

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello!

I have recently acquired a tropical tank from a friend and I'm not really sure what I am doing. I have done a fair bit of reading around and asked at some pet shops but that has left me thoroughly confused!

Tank - Juwel 55 Litre
Temp - 25-27 Celsius

Fish - 3/4 year old Angel Fish (one), Neon Tetra (One, fully grown), Balloon Bellied Mollie (One, young)

Now, I know that Angel fish can be difficult with other fish, but these seem to be OK together, my friend never had any problems with them.

I know that Tetras like be in a shoal but many websites advise against putting them in with angelfish. So I'm not too sure what to do there.

I'm not sure where to get another Mollie, or if it will be ok on its own or if to get another.

Also I would like to add a bottom feeder to help with cleaning the tank but have read conflicting advise on this aswell.

I have bought a couple of live plants, and I did buy a couple of Yamato shrimp but I think the angelfish might have had them for her dinner (even though the pet shop told it would be fine!)

Any advise will be much appreciated.

Thank you!
Sam

How long has this tank been set up?

Most tetras are fine with angelfish, the reason people advise against neons is adult angels can be known to eat them due to size difference.

Caleb

There is a misconception that bottom feeders clean up, they eat fish food just like any other fish.. They won't eat fish waste etc... Make sure you get a good gravel cleaner :)

Or if you plant the tank pretty good you really only need to spot clean. I don't vacuum my planted tanks unless it's something that obviously needs removing. Plants often utilize the waste.

Caleb

Back
Top Bottom