Advice on aquarium quality

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

RedfireSVT

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I just bought a used 55gal aquarium that I am going to set up as saltwater. The previous owner had it set up as a freshwater tank and it is 4 years old. It was bought at Petco and I was wondering what people think about the quality of these tanks. The seals look to be in good shape but the seals don't seem to come out past the seam(if that makes sense). In my last saltwater tank, a 30gal, the sealant came out about half an inch from the seam. I just don't want to come home from work and find 50 gallons of saltwater on my floor.

You can test it a fill it up with water and let sit for a week. One thing to consider, what kind of meds were used, like copper?

it's an all glass aquarium. as for what meds were used i have no idea. i filled it and let it sit over night and it was fine then i cleaned it with a small amount of bleach then rinsed it and dried it.

If you know the previous owner of the tank I would call them and see if they used any copper based meds in the tank.

If you know the previous owner of the tank I would call them and see if they used any copper based meds in the tank.
if the the meds were used does this mean i shouldn't use the tank for saltwater? is there no way to clean the tank and free it from contamination?

If there was copper used in the tank you will not be able to keep inverts. As for cleaning it to make it safe I have no idea. I'm sure if you google it you will find information concerning that.

FOWLR or FO is about all you will be able to do if copper was used in the tank. If someone knows a way of removing copper residue in a tank please respond. I would like to know as well.

Back
Top Bottom