advice on how to setup my wetdry filter with pics

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Howdy

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I purchased this system used and could use some advice on how to set this up correctly quite sure my guess on how to setup is not correct

one question is the dry side what should i put in for filter media? media bags with activated carbon?? how many levels of filtering is needed? looks like there is room for three

the next question is on the protein skimmer can someone tell me how this is suppose to go it really spatters like this so I think I must have it wrong

third and final question is the area where the bio balls currently are I plan to put live rock in place of this should I just fill that end with live rock and take out the rack that is holding the bio balls off the bottom? that rack will not support live rock it doesn't appear

thanks and sorry for the typing my keyboard is not working correctly so I am a bit limited

wetdryfilter8rj.jpg

wetdryfilter2db.jpg

skimmer8gu.jpg

overflow2du.jpg

forgot one more question should the overflow go into the side I have it on in this pic or the other side? it came with a sponge looking filter that doesn"t seem to fit is this something that should be used on the end of the hose? it would be nice if I could quiet that part down a tad is that part of what that is for?

You're overflow looks like it is set up correctly. The sponge is usualy both for some minimal noise reduction and also to prevent things from clogging the drain. If you feel up to a little DIY project look ito a Durso and Stockman standpipe. It's a minor pvc adjustment to the drain (where your sponge it) and Everyoen that's used it comments on a drastic noise reduction.

In terms of your wetdry, I'll agree that you should remove the bio-balls and drop in some LR rubble. IMO, I would see what you can do to keep that little rack to prop up the LR off the bottom. Maybe four 1" sections of pvc under it to just keep it from falling down. This will let any extra detritus and garbage fall to the bottom and allow for some easier maintenance in your sump. (you might want to think about a small light to put of that section as well)

I can't really tell where you're skimmer is set up from the photos, what's the exact problem youre having with it?

I guess mostly I'm just unsure since I got a box of pieces to put together and this is all new to me.

I put the skimmer together as I thought it looked right, but I am not sure it is in correctly. Most of the time it doesn't seem to do anything, but I am just cycling tap water right now to test out the tank and filter. I noticed once that it had scum bubbles coming up it (which I'm assuming is correct), but it was spattering water quite a bit out the top (holes on each corner of the top piece)..

as far as the dry side, media bags with activated carbon? one of those and one coarse filter above that? does that sound good?

I'll definitely take a look at the DIY project on the overflow. it is a bit noisier than I'd like right now.

Thanks!

Glad to help.

If you're just running tap water then you wont likely see any foam build up in your skimmer. If you did I would be concerned with your drinking water :)

There should be a large collection cup that sits on teh top of your skimmer, it should have an inverted funnel where the foam will push up through the middle and slide back down into the collection cup. If that isn't in place properly that may be why you're seeing splashing.

Any chance you could take a snapshot of just the skimmer so we can see it and the top?

For the dry side of your filter, IMO, just keep it empty and know that you can put in a sock of GAC or other agent if you need to, but you don't have to run something in there all the time. The LR in your display and sump section should handle 99% of your filtration naturally. (if you have enough LR)

okay thanks again. I'll try to get a pic from the top. It does have a cup on top of the cylinder, so from what you are describing the top part of it is set up correctly. I have it resting on a triangle piece of plastic that appears to be made for it, but it sticks up pretty high.

the second photo shows that triangle I'm talking about. It sits on two small ledges and is a little small but fits if you play with it a little. I'm a little unsure that is the way it is suppose to be. It also puts that scum trap pretty high up, maybe the reason why it was spattering more?? the actual trap box appears to be made to fit into the top of that triangle at least from what I can tell.

the scum I saw I'm sure is from the aquarium or filter. this thing was a mess when I bought it.

I need a light for LR in the wet/dry filter? what size/type light would work for this? If I'm going to have a light in there, should I add some floating plants as well??

thanks again. so nothing on the dry side would be good, I can make it quieter that way. I should be able to plumb that inlet down to the bottom now instead of at the top for the dry filters.

thanks for the info. on the stockman DIY as well. I did that today. I had to modify it slightly due to the height of my overflow boxes, but it seems to quiet it down quite a lot.

One other thing, I'm a little concerned that if my water level drops and I lose the syphon on the tubes, my tank will overfill. Is there some precautionary measures I can take to prevent this from happening?

here are the photos of the skimmer that I was talking about TIA!

triangle5yz.jpg

top2pm.jpg

topdown5qc.jpg

large1or.jpg

From your first batch of pictures your overflow looks like it is setup corerctly in that if a power outage occurs you shouldn't have to worry about a siphon break. They are designed so that when the power goes out water will stay in the collection box inside the tank and in the inside chamber of the outside box (if you follow that). So that when the power comes back on the siphon should pick right back up again.

There's two tests you want to perform with your sump. One to be sure your siphons are set up properly and two to determine you maximum water level in your sump. To do this follow these simple steps:
Have everything working with a minimum amount of water in your sump.
Mark the water line in your sump.
Turn off the power and let the water in all the plumbing settle.
Mark the new water line in your sump.
Turn the pump back on and watch your siphon closely to be sure it returns to a normal operation.

Once your test is complete you now know how much the water level in your sump will rise when the pump is off (either for maintenance or a poweroutage). You will want to set your maximum water level in your sump to be that distance from the top of your sump (give yourself some roome for error here)

In regards to you skimmer... thats an interesting design. I can see it now in the first set of pictures you listed... it does seem like something is missing though. The way skimmers work is you want to maximize the time a bubble of air is in contact with water before eventually rising up to the collection cup without escaping back into the rest of the water volume.

it seems like there should be another cylinder that comes down through that triangle bracket at the bottom of which you would put a wooden air stone or plumb a pump with an aerator... got any extra parts laying around your not sure what they're for? :)

The picture of you holding the collection cup, the holes in teh top of that I would suspect are simply vents to let the air from teh skimming process escape since the lid to that looks rather secure.

[edit]
For the light, just a minimum amount of light is all that is needed. This just helps algaes and such grow on the rocks to contribute to its benificial processing of nutrients in the water. Lots of folks also include forms of macro algae in their sump/fuge to further add to the nutrient export. A small PC light over the LR section would be fine. if you wanted to put a bit more lighting on there and maximize the LR/algae exposure you could set the lights in the sump to be on opposite the lights in your main display. A lot of folks do that to help balance the pH levels in the tank over night.
[/edit]

there is a small eight inch maybe piece that extends out about a quarter inch of the subermsible pump that is just returning a small stream of water back into that same compartment does this maybe connect with a hose to this part?

I do have a part that I am not sure about here

this appears as though it has not been used it looks like a half inch slip connect that fits into where the pump comes into the skimmer the other end is around three quarter inch female threaded and no idea where that would connect

it also has the air hose inlet

anyway here it is >
unknown4lr.jpg

anyone know how this is suppose to look? it bubbles like crazy coming off the sub pump, but doesn't seem to catch anything and spills over the top some.

well i'm not sure what that extra piece you're showing would be for.

The skimmer supposed to make a lot of bubbles, but until there is some life in the tank it wont really produce the actual skimmate. That "Stuff" comes from the extra organical material and protiens in the water. You may not having anything in there to really skim yet.

If its making bubbles and "frothing" a little at the top you have the majority of it set up right (i'm assuming). THe only remaining part, is that once the water really has more "Stuff" in it the froth at the top should begin to get thicker and form a head, like if you were to poor a beer into a glass. That head should then eventually push up and into that box with the vent holes for you to remove occasionaly.

thanks

the whole top box with the four holes is filling with water for some reason which I am thinking is not right

it then is spattering quite a bit with it overflowing out of the top four holes

starting to think I should just get a new skimmer to add on to the wet dry I am just not sure that even if this works if it will be good enough to work well?? I have always heard that the skimmer is pretty important any model skimmers you guys would recommend to put onto the wet dry?

I did find a name on this wet dry filter it is Munsch Design can not find much about them on the web though

Back
Top Bottom