Advice on new fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ollie555777

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Yes, I should have known better and done research before trusting the "expert" at Petsmart. I have a 30 gallon tank with a penguin 150 filtration system, aqueon heater. I have a few questions for those of you with experience. My sister gave me her tank set up after having some fish live for over 14 years. I added tap water, a de-chlorinator (sp?), waited about a week, then added safestart, waited about 2 days. then went to Petsmart several times to have the water tested. When it finally tested right (according to them) I asked them to pick out 3 fish for me that would be peaceful and happy together. I also told them I eventually wanted a school of neon tetras, but I read they do not do well in a brand new tank. The girl picked out the following:
1. dwarf gouarmi (excuse my spelling, and I actually asked for one of these)
2. Mickey Mouse fish
3. Rainbow fish (the Praecox i believe). Yes. ONE of them. She didn't tell me it was a schooling fish. Yes. I should have researched.

Surprisingly the Rainbow seems happy a clam, and I now love him. The Platy is happy too. The dwarf Gouarmi is a grouch, and was picking on the rainbow, but now just hides under my driftwood.

We went back to petsmart a couple days later, and a different girl was there that knew more, and bought a black molly (my 9 year old wanted this fish for weeks), and she is hiding at the top of the tank near the filter, looking miserable. it makes me feel awful for her.

Finally my question!
1. My tank is only 30 gallons. I love the rainbow, and he seems really happy considering he has no buddies. I'm thinking of scrapping the neon tetra idea and just getting more rainbows (but expensive!). How many will my tank hold considering the other fish. what is the lowest number I can ethically get for him, and can they be males? or will they fight? Will they become aggressive in numbers towards the other fish in the tank?
2. Should I take back the Gouarmi if I get more rainbows?
3. Will another Molly make my girl molly happy? I think she may be pregnant.

I'm sorry and I know I have no idea what I'm doing, but I really am excited about this new hobby. It's extremely difficult for me not to get attached to these little fish and not worry about them being stressed, getting along together, being happy, etc. My sister keeps making fun of me. :(

I'm planning on going back up to Petsmart today to get my water tested again to make sure everything is going okay. They will take back any fish I have, but we want to keep the molly and Mickey Mouse for sure. Thanks in advance for any advice.

Sincerely,
A newbie (Please be kind):blink:

First, number 1. You ever learned the nitrogen cycle? Basically what happens is that the fish produce ammonia, along with their uneaten food, which is turned by bacteria into nitrite, then into nitrate. But to achieve this cycle, you need to let the tank age. Usually letting a tank cycle, meaning letting it sit with water and not have anything alive in it, takes about 2 months. Minimum. And all during this you need to find a way to add ammonia, weather it be letting food decompose, bottled ammonia, or a super hardy fish. Now, I'm not saying what you're doing is wrong. My first tank is a 30 gallon. And I didn't let it cycle, and just put fish in, and it took, surprise, 2 months for it to finally calm down. So doing a tank without letting it cycle isn't impossible, but it takes dedication, time, and fish's lives.
2. If I know my schooling fish, more rainbows shouldn't increase aggression. In fact, it should stop the gourami picking on them. As for the others, I would say pick your favorite, and return the other. Then get your favorite a mate.
Finally, the minimum rainbows I would get is 5, and if you really push it 4. They school for protection, and feel safer in bigger numbers.
If I missed anything, let me know!

Thank you for your quick responses! I am going to go buy a good testing kit today. My sister said she never had good luck with preparing her own water, and always bought water from an aquarium store. I know I can get it for 60 cents a gallon at the one that is kind of far away from me. I did purchase a bottle of Ready-Water (2.3 gallons) from Carib sea. For my first water change. I really don't want to take a chance and kill my fish. I will make sure to read the water change threads thoroughly. If there's a you tube video you can recommend, that would be awesome. I took the rainbow back, which makes me sad, but I hopefully he will find a better home. Trying to catch him was a huge pain! I seriously thought he was going to jump out of the tank.

Thank you for posting the above links!! Very informative.

Oh dont buy water... that is a huge gimick seriously... just get a good water conditioner like prime.

You can get a water changer that hooks up to a faucet or water hose and change the water that way. When you do your water change you just add the water directly to the tank and dose the whole tank with the water conditioner.

2.3 gallons is not enough of a water change in a 30 gallon tank. I change 50 percent of my water weekly. And if your doing a fish in cycle you will need to be prepared to do daily water changes to keep the fish from getting poisoned by waste.

Back
Top Bottom