Advice on PWC for beginners

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

thebaron2

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hello everyone!

I'm new to this forum and haven't had a tank in 10+ years, so I'm super rusty and my dad took care of the tank we used to have.

This is probably a dumb question, but how exactly do I do a partial water change so I don't hurt my fish and plants?

We have a 38-ga tank and the guy at our store had us get started with 7 Harlequin Rasboras to cycle the tank (now I've read up on the fishless cycle and kind of wish I went that route, but at this point it's too late).

I have a Python maintenance system to fill/clean/empty the tank that hooks up right to the tap. If I empty say 1/3 of the water do I just refill that 1/3 straight from the tap, and then add the dechlorinator after?

Or do I add dechlorinator AFTER I empty 1/3 of the water but before replacing it with tap water?

OR (and I hope this isn't the case) do I need to purify the water in a separate bucket and then dump that into the tank?

Thanks for the advice!

*Edit - I should mention my main concerns of filling straight from the tap are twofold: 1) the water is really cold in the tap from our office; 2) I don't want to shock the fish with chlorinated water.

Welcome to AA, hope we can help.
You should only add dechlorinated temperature matched water into the tank. The chlorine will kill the beneficial bacteria and the cold water will shock the fish. Unfortunately the safest way isn't the easiest way.

Thanks! I was afraid that was the answer.

If that's the case what's the purpose of the Python systems? I suppose it makes emptying water easier and filling the tank the very first time, but from what I understand the pump only works when it's hooked directly to a tap, so it seems virtually useless for water changes!

Is that the case?

Unfortunately I'm not familiar with water changers. Hopefully someone has information on how they do their water changes using one. I'm a bucket guy, lol. Sorry I can't answer your question better.

Thanks! I was afraid that was the answer.

If that's the case what's the purpose of the Python systems? I suppose it makes emptying water easier and filling the tank the very first time, but from what I understand the pump only works when it's hooked directly to a tap, so it seems virtually useless for water changes!

Is that the case?

I use a water change on my tank. I drain in the tank 25% and then temp match the water, I take the hose out so the water coming out if the end hooked up to the sink is straight tap. I temp match there then flip the valve. After the water starts entering the tank I add my Prime for amount being added.

Pretty simple and fast :)

Hi Convict, thanks for the reply!

So do you basically prep the water purifier before flipping the valve, and then add the solution as the water from the tap first hits the tank water?

Sorry but I haven't done this before so I'm looking for the most basic step-by-step I can get!

I do 50% water changes weekly with my water changer and i temp match then add prime for the entire volume of my tank then i flip the little switch thing and fill it up

I use a python as well - LOVE IT! I unplug heaters & filter, drain/vac what I want, add my Prime for the full tank volume & add my ferts, then adjust the hot/cold water coming out of the tap to temp match as close as possible by feel then refill the tank. Some people dose water conditioner again after they've refilled. If I need to clean my filter media I remove some of the tank water into a bucket to rinse the filter media. Keep an eye on your nosey fish, I almost sucked one up, she was in the tube when I noticed her, my fish are super nosey!

I do 50% water changes weekly with my water changer and i temp match then add prime for the entire volume of my tank then i flip the little switch thing and fill it up

i do the same, i always add enough prime for the entire tank, not just the water being replaced.

Back
Top Bottom