Advice on Switching Filter Devices

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CuttyShark

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Today I made the decision based on the research I have done to switch from the Top Fin 75 Filter to a Fluval 306 Canister filter. I just got the new canister filter setup and running and am thinking that I should leave the Top Fin filtration in place for at least a week, maybe two while the bacteria colonize the new Cannister filter (trying to avoid ammonia and nitrite spikes).

Is one to two weeks sufficient time?

I have a marinland 60 gallon aquarium with:

4 - Juvenile Angelfish (approx 1.25" long)
1 - Three Spot Gourami - approx 2.5"
1 - Gold Gourami - approx 2"
2 - Dwarf Gourami - approx 2"
10 - Neon Tetras - 1"
2 - Cory - 1.5"
1 - Kuhli Loach - 2.5"
1 - Oto - 1.25"
4 - Platies - 1.5"
3 - small nerite snails
2 - Ghost Shrimp

I realize that for full size growth I am probably a little overstocked, and that the angel's might very well eat the neon tetras when they are full grown. Etc. Right now just looking to make sure that I do not interrupt my biofiltration.

I also have a fair number of young plants that I am working on taking root right now. Part of the decision to go to the Fluval was the lower flow rate required for it, so that the filtration would quit dislodging my plants.

Thoughts?

That amount of time would likely get you a start with the biological filtration however it would be easier to move some of the media from the established filter to the canister if there's room.
I personally would say take one of the little, containers that the canister has for media and take out whatevers in it and replace it with the established media. Ive done that a couple times with various filters and its always worked out...

Well i dont think so .. ur water and Aquarium is already build ready to move cuz all good bacteria is present in ur water too ... Just take the sponge from old filter and put it in canister ...... thats all you need ...

Just Sharing My Experience From Top Filter to Canister with Media From Old in a Day ... No Fish Deaths Neither Any Issues ... With Two Aquariums In Two Days ....

That amount of time would likely get you a start with the biological filtration however it would be easier to move some of the media from the established filter to the canister if there's room.
I personally would say take one of the little, containers that the canister has for media and take out whatevers in it and replace it with the established media. Ive done that a couple times with various filters and its always worked out...

I went ahead and put the old filter media into the new canister filter, and am proceeding that direction.

As I am new to the Canister Filters I have a follow up question. Does the canister filter cause enough turbulence for gas exchanges or do I need to get an air stone in the tank? I am medium planted as well, so I was wondering if the plants would be able to keep up naturally with the oxygen demand?

Thanks in advance for the help.

Unfortunately adding the media from my existing filter didn't prove to be enough. I ended up with an ammonium and nitrite spike yesterday. I performed a 20 gallon WC yesterday morning, then went ahead and treated the tank with 1/4 Teaspoon Safe by Seachem (repeated today), added TSS, and am going to continue with 3-5ml caps of Seachem Stability until the cycle reestablishes itself.

I added two airstones to improve the aeration of the water to prevent suffocation from Nitrite poisoning. I am hoping that the cycle will re-establish itself by Friday.

I also pulled the dwarf gouramis from the tank permanently bc the Three Spot Gourami was getting much more aggressive (product of stressful environment/toxins maybe?)

Any tips on re-establishing a lost cycle? Feedback would be helpful.

Back
Top Bottom