Advice please re cycling my tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JillianLockwood

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Hi,
I posted a few days ago re an ammonia of 8 in a 30litre (8 gallon) tank with one fantail goldfish. I tried to save Lola our fish but I could not get the water right and she died:( I have done some reading and it seems for my tank size I should really have White Cloud Mountain Minnows.
At the moment the tank only has one hardy snail. The ammonia is 4, nitrites .25 and nitrates 80. What should I do to get the water suitable for the Minnows?
Thank you

Australia! [emoji16]

Would you consider a male betta? Tank is fine on size and snail will help clean. Just need a small heater. I assume you have a filter.

How long has tank been running? Ph?

I'd just wait until ammonia and nitrites are 0, water change nitrates down on a massive water change and grab one.

Following on from advice re cycling my tank

Thanks for your help.

Yes I will have a look at a male Betta.

The tank has been running for 3 months and the pH sits between 6.6-7.0.
It does a filter, but no heater. I will get a heater.

I will do a big water change and then wait for the ammonia and nitrites to go to 0. In the three months I have had the tank I have found it difficult to get the ammonia to 0, it usually sat at .25. Perhaps that's because I had a gold fish in it.
Thanks again.

I have 6 Celestial Pearl Danios in a 30 liter tank with a few snails and plants. They are doing great.

Thanks for your help.

Yes I will have a look at a male Betta.

The tank has been running for 3 months and the pH sits between 6.6-7.0.
It does a filter, but no heater. I will get a heater.

I will do a big water change and then wait for the ammonia and nitrites to go to 0. In the three months I have had the tank I have found it difficult to get the ammonia to 0, it usually sat at .25. Perhaps that's because I had a gold fish in it.
Thanks again.

Yes, agree - tank should be cycled but sounds like filter was over-loaded.

Back
Top Bottom