ADVICE?.... Smelly Tank

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

greenorchid

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello - I am new to all this and we started off with some hiccups - but things are moving along well (knock on wood) however, we have noticed a smelly water smell upon entering our living room. Can this be fixed? or is this just part of in home aquarium living?

We have an open top 55 gallon tank with a 70 gallon aquaclear filter and a large long air stone with pebble bottom and 2 goldfish. (One XL chocolate oranda and one medium red fantail).

If I add a lid/cover will this help? Is it better to leave open for oxygen? or is it the smell of the Ich meds I had to add to my tank because I purchased sick fish from an independent pet store that I just found out yesterday form someone - was not a clean store. I go to the pet store daily and have water checked so far so good. My test kit is coming in the mail.

If a tank cover is all I need - what do you recommend? And will I be taking away oxygen from them? Thanks

The cover does nothing but to keep the tank covered, it does not take oxygen away.
The smell, could a problem, do you change water frequently?
Did it smell before adding the meds?

The lid won't impede any oxygen exchange. It would have to be completely sealed to stop the oxygen exchange. The air stone will create plenty of oxygen. The lid will help a little with the smell, but it shouldn't really smell. Maybe I'm just used to mine? You should be doing 20-50% water changes every week. Also, you could use some more filtration. Another aquaclear 70 would help.

That would be my question is how often and how much water are you changing with dirty fish like goldfish I would do a 50% weekly water changes with a good gravel vac. The tank should not smell. The only odor that comes off of mine is a faintly dirt smell like a soil smell, and it definitely not unpleasant. I have to get my nose about and inch or 2 from the water to even smell that.

How long has the tank been set up?
What are the parameters?

Tanks should not smell and they are usually caused by bad water parameters and decaying organic matter. A good cleaning should be enough to keep things under control.

It's not a bad smell at all - my husband can smell it faintly upon entering the living room and we had to get our nose right up to the water to realize that was the smell he was smelling - my tank is new -ish*.

Long story (i posted in another post) - so I'll keep it short , this is a new tank it's had a short cycle time but i've been checking levels daily at pet store until my test kit comes in the mail.

I'm thinking of the glass covers that slide- I'll order one today - thank you all!

The smell will go away once your tank gets cycled well. Only thing you will smell is a slight earthy/dirt smell with your nose at the water. When you get your test kit (hope it's a liquid kit) do 50% water change when your nitrates hit 20ppm regularly. Test ammonia and nitrites while your tank is still cycling and do a water change when ever these show a reading. Get another aquaclear 70 at least and put a sponge in the bottom and fill the rest with bio max. 2 or 3 bags should fit. Get an extra sponge for a smaller aquaclear and cut it to length and make a cross(+) cut in the middle of one end then stick it over the intake inside the tank( both filters). Clean this sponge often. Don't clean the other filter media until it really needs it. I leave mine a 2-3 months. The intake sponge will keep the inside of the filter cleaner. Goldfish are messy and large bioload, you'll need at least one 50% water change a week to keep water good maybe 2. Depending on the size and feeding. Get your cover it will help keep water in(evaporation), and it will keep airborne dust and pollutants like spray and stuff from entering the tank. And in no time your tank will not smell.

thanks so much!

Can you post a pic of this sponge cross and where to place it? .... i'm a bit confused.

An as for my other aquaclear 50 coming in the mail.... no good? Return and get another 70?

thanks again

The 50 may be good for now if your goldfish aren't too big with maybe an upgrade down the road. Here's a pic of the sponge with a cross cut in the end and slid over the intake tube. They make a sponge for this purpose but most LFS don't carry them so most people just do this.

Ohhhh ok - now I understand - thanks so much!!!! So i'm just going to return my 50 and get a 70 and an extra sponge - thanks*

So are you a goldfish owner as well?

How many goldfish can I have in my 55 gallon tank after it is established and I have 2 - 70gallon aquaclear filters going? 3 goldfish or 4?

Also, I have a solid* oak toy chest that my tank is sitting on - the right and left side edge hung off a little so my husband cut a piece of wood to fit the tank exactly and we placed that underneath on top of the chest. Is this ok? I wanted something lower than the usual height stand.

What is a good aquarium set up? I would love to have live plants but i'm afraid they may rot and poison tank, so I'm sticking to plastic until I get the hang of everything.

Also, what about natural drift wood?

Sorry so many questions - last one....

And I found a rock on the beach in Port Lligat, Spain a few years ago that I took home with me - it has little shell growth all over it. But the rock was already dried out when I found it and the shells are mostly all broken and chipped- I found it on the sand not in the water. When I got home I let in soak in a bleach water mixture to clean it - i was afraid of bugs or something - i didn't know- ........ Can I add this to my aquarium? It's just been sitting on my mantle for years.

thanks in advance for your time and help*
Christina

Back
Top Bottom