advice with 4 gallon fishless cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Harlebora

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hi, This is my first time cycling a tank properly and was wondering if everything is going in the right direction. My tank is 4 gallon/20 litres and the temperature is currently set to 30/86 as I read this speeds up the bacteria growth? I test my water everyday with the API test kit. I am only 14 days into my fishless cycle and my PH has been constant at 7.6 on the PH test kit and 7.4 on the high range test kit everyday. I initially dosed ammonia to 4ppm with dr tims ammonium chloride solution but haven't and wont be using any bacteria additives. All water dosed with dechlorinator at start and during pwc.

Day 5 ammonia dropped to 2ppm so I dosed it back to 4ppm
Day 7 ammonia 0.25ppm (dosed back to 4ppm) nitrites 0
Day 8 ammonia 1ppm (dosed back to 4ppm) nitrites 0.25
Day 10 ammonia 0 (dosed back to 4ppm) nitrites 0 nitrates 40
Day 11 ammonia 0 (dosed back to 4ppm) nitrites 0 nitrates 40
Day 12 ammonia 0 (dosed back to 4ppm) nitrites 0 nitrates 80
Day 13 ammonia 0 (dosed back to 4ppm) nitrites 0.25ppm nitrates 160 (done a 50% water change as PH dropped to 7.2)
Day 14 ammonia 0 (dosed back to 4ppm) nitrites 0 nitrates 40

I thought my nitrites would be reading higher by now or at some point as nitrates are really building quickly. Any thoughts and input would be great thanks.

Thanks for reply. I was under the impression nitrites were supposed to build up really high as ammonia levels dropped then the nitrite eating bacteria got established and brought the numbers down and started converting into nitrates but that is good to know thanks.

Is my cycle nearly complete or is it a long way off yet? I thought it was normally around 3-4 weeks roughly for cycle completion but my levels seem to be almost right for adding fish but I am unsure, anyone know?

Thanks for your help. I will do as you say and hope everything stays good over next few days then add some fish. Picking up a 200l tank tomorrow and looking forward to getting it up and running.

This tank is pretty much cycled as the last 5 days has been 0 ammonia and nitrites after dosing back to 4ppm ammonia everyday. So I was wanting to ask advice from anyone if adding 10 galaxy rasbora to this 4 gallon tank would be ok (there only 0.83" adult size)?

Stocking options are extremely limited in a 4 gallon tank, in my opinion the only thing appropriate would be a single betta or shrimp. Even then I prefer a bigger tank for a betta, maybe someone with more experience with Nano tanks will be more help on how many of those you could keep (I don't think 10).

I even keep my endlers in a 10 gallon tank, and am probably gonna upgrade that to a bigger tank since I started keeping multiple mystery snails.

Stocking options are extremely limited in a 4 gallon tank, in my opinion the only thing appropriate would be a single betta or shrimp. Even then I prefer a bigger tank for a betta, maybe someone with more experience with Nano tanks will be more help on how many of those you could keep (I don't think 10).

I even keep my endlers in a 10 gallon tank, and am probably gonna upgrade that to a bigger tank since I started keeping multiple mystery snails.

Ok thanks for your thoughts toolman I will wait and see if anyone else pitches in as you suggested.

I only researched one site but the minimum tank recommendation for cpd's is 18", that's why I cautioned you earlier.

Even though the misconception is nano fish can be kept in small tanks, and there's lots of various opinions on this topic, they are still happier and lead a better life in groups in a bigger aquarium. I would personally keep them in a 10 gallon minimum.

Galaxy rasboras wouldn't do well in that tank, unfortunately.

At four gallons, your ideal stock would be an individual betta, shrimp, or snails.

Snails and shrimp are amazing. The people who get into shrimp make it seem like Pokemon. There are color charts and pedigree lines. People get really into it.

Ok thanks everyone for advice. I had looked into the galaxy rasbora and though they were ok due to them originating from small shallow and densely packed with vegetation ponds they would be ok. Guess I still have a lot to learn. Thanks again.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom