aerating water change water

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MadManMac

Aquarium Advice Freak
My question is two fold. Is aerating the water for your changes necessary if you let the water mix for 48 hours with good surface currents and would using something like a needle wheel skimmer pump cause a problem by putting to much air in the water and thus changing the chemistry? Any help would be appreciated.

I use two of those PH that have a connection for a air hose and lit run for 24/48 hours. One is sitting in the bottom of the container and the other one hangs from the edge. Been doing this since I started and I have not noticed anything wrong with my water. Note that I also have a heater in there. HTH

8)

I was using a mag7 but it started to chatter a lot so I am looking to switch. The funny thing to me is that over a two day period, the Mag7 will bring the water up to 80 degrees so I do not need a heater and can avoid the risk of melting through my conatiner. I will use the Sedra 5000 for now and see how chemistry turns out. Thanks.

No need to add air to the water. The gas exchange takes place at the surface. As long as you use a ph that points up a bit and agitates the surface you'll be fine.

A properly working heater will not melt the plastic container as long as there is water surrounding it.

cmor1701d said:
A properly working heater will not melt the plastic container as long as there is water surrounding it.

True but still a little risky with some old heaters. I worry about it to much myself, especially since it’s usually mixing while I sleep. I keep two small pieces of base rock on the bottom of my mixing bucket to elevate the heater just in case. Have you ever tried to hold a heater when it's on in the water 8O

I like Serge's use of dual powerhead at top and bottom & do this as well but mostly because I mix in a 30 gal trashcan on wheels. I think if you are just mixing in a 5 gal bucket then one ph at the surface should do it IMO.

Also since I don’t use 30 gal each time I keep it covered until next time and just remix\heat it for about an hour or two before using again.

I forgot you have a 175 gal :oops: A big pump works as well :D Bonus on the heat it puts out.

Back
Top Bottom