aeration: do I need it?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Broncovin

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Hello all , my 30 gallon has now been well established and cycled, my question now is aeration (ie; bubbles).
How important for tank health is adding a source of bubbles?
I have a Aquaclear 50 and I recentl added an Aqueon 50 wave maker.
I added the aqueon because I noticed alot of waste building up in the gravel and it seemed to do the trick.
Im just wondering if adding a bubble source is just for looks or if it is truly necessary.. any thoughts?​

I must add that usually it's not necessary to have a bubbler, but if you wish to make sure, just get one rated for 10 gallons, any bigger is useless.

Tank Aeration

Hello all , my 30 gallon has now been well established and cycled, my question now is aeration (ie; bubbles).
How important for tank health is adding a source of bubbles?
I have a Aquaclear 50 and I recentl added an Aqueon 50 wave maker.
I added the aqueon because I noticed alot of waste building up in the gravel and it seemed to do the trick.

Im just wondering if adding a bubble source is just for looks or if it is truly necessary.. any thoughts?​

Hello Bronc...

All your tank needs is a filter that will turn over the volume of the tank 4 times an hour. Your AC50, alone is more than sufficient. Just change half the water in the tank every week and you'll maintain stable water conditions for your fish and plants.

The mulm or detrius that builds up in the substrate is completely natural and beneficial to your aquarium plants. As it dissolves in the water, it provides nutrients. That's why you don't want to vacuum a well planted tank. You'll remove nutrients.

Bubbles are very small and add little to the tank other than some tank keepers like the effect. In that case, add a small air stone. The filter does the job of "gas exchange". It moves the water surface to mix oxygen into the tank water and allows carbon dioxide to escape.

Keep those questions coming.

B

Back
Top Bottom