Aeration question...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Danton

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Is there any downside to putting an airstone in a saltwater tank? One person has told me that those tiny bubbles cause problems for the fish. I would like to add one airstone with a battery backup air pump for when the power goes out. It has twice now in the last three months for 2.5 hours. Not that long of a time but I'm thinking the bubbles will keep the water circulating somewhat. I do have a generator for when hurricane season comes but that's another topic.

Thanks,
Danton

I really doubt that putting an airstone in your tank is going to cause any sort of problems. How deep is your tank, if it's a tall tank or something deeper than 2 feet you might need to do that. I personally hate the look of bubblers and prefer powerheads. The currents are better for the fish anyways, and as long as you stir the surface up a bit there is plenty of gas exchange. It would be cool to find a battery backup that ONLY provides power when the power is out. That way if the power dies the bubblers switch on. For power outages it would be great because the bubblers take up way less power than any powerhead. I've got one backup battery that is made for computers that lasts "45" minutes with one PeeCee attached. I would imagine I get about 3 or more hours of time just powering a powerhead.

Regards,
Ken

Two problems could arise from the continuous use of airstones. The first and most common is excessive salt creap. As the bubbles burst, the throw SW into the air which when dries cases salt to cake on anything it touch's. It can make a real mess. The second and not as common is gas bubble disease. This will usually occur with continued microbubbles enter the water column where fish are kept. Small gas bubbles will accumulate just behind the fishs' cornea. It will appear similar to popeye but not as unsightly.

Cheers
Steve

Hmmm, so maybe bubbles aren't a good idea then as far as the fishes health is concerned. That's why I thought I'd ask and get some reliable feedback. Thanks!

-Danton

will the fish run short on oxygen if no form of aeration is present?

Water movement where it breaks the surface tension of the water is aeration. You do not actually need air to enter the system in a visible manner. Gas exchange is what your looking for, not air infusion. If the surface water is moving, the tank is being aerated. The faster/more vigorous the movement, the healthier the gas exchange.

Cheers
Steve

Another problem of these bubbles, I have heard, that if they get stuck to corals, they would stress the corals due to the pressure they apply.

I use a airstone (it's a disc shape) only cause I like the look. I'm honestly not sure if it really helps, my powerhead & protein skimmer are really the main gas exchange kings.

One little plus, my little Porcupine Puffer swims close to it as an express route to the top of the tank. (Clever...maybe too clever.)

I have no coral, but it hasn't done any visible damage to the LR

Jess

Back
Top Bottom