Afft. Cichlids? *Pics Added* Help ID

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

PK Tester

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hey all...

I was recently in the mall

and saw these really small and VERY BRIGHT

Cichlids

Does anyone know what these might be?

I don't have a picture and they were so pretty I'm considering getting them for my 40 gal.

All their label said was Afft. Cichlids.

I'm not sure about the Afft. part, but Rams seem to meet your description. How much were they selling for?

They werent rams...too bright of colors...some were solid and some were striped.

They were pretty cheap $3.99 ?

I recall there being a VERY bright orange fish in this tank.

Fishy it was somewhat like that but very small...and I do not remember its body being so narrow

Ahh I want some but I don't really know the requirements and I do not want those to be the only fish in my aquarium.

I don't think I would buy them if I couldn't identify them either...

Sound like African Cichlids to me.
Could be labs, but they would be too cheap. Probably a Zebra, if I had to guess.

If it is a Cichlid, you can only put other cichlid's with it. You may feel restricted by not being able to put too many other species in the tank but cichlid's are really fun fish to have. Their personalities are amazing.

Regarding the price, some fish stores don't really know what they have and underprice. I was recently at Petsmart and found a Zebra Pleco for $3.99. I looked online and saw it being sold for $249.99. Wal-Mart had a Rio de Para Pleco for $4.99 and it is listed online for $49.99. It can be beneficial to check out the large chain stores that don't specialize in fish because sometimes they get in fish that normally sell for higher prices and they sell them cheap. I refuse to purchase fish from Wal-Mart because of their poor tank conditions and I have made it clear to the manager of the store that if the conditions do not improve that I will take pictures and send them to PETA but sometimes they get in fish that I know are expensive and I am tempted to purchase a couple of them. Depending on where you found the fish, they may just have it priced low because they don't realize how expensive the fish really is.

Thanks Fishy...I don't know that I want to be limited to these fish :-/

I guess I will have to decided!

Thanks to everyone else too!

Alright...I have pictures now and I do believe they did write asst. Chichlids...The sign was all blury from water.

anyhow...I love camera phones...here are some pics!

Oh yes...the REALLY bright orange one was sold

Back
Top Bottom