African butterfly fish

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

giffmastaflex

Aquarium Advice Freak
I was thinking about getting an African butterfly fish but not really sure on how big they get, how fast they grow, what they eat, and if they will go good with its tank mates. Currently I have
1 rainbow shark
1 gold gurami
3 angel fish
1 African leaf fish
1 African featherfin cat
1 black ghost knife

I know some of these fish will out grow my tank but I know some people that will buy my fish when they get too big. Any and all advice is helpful.

I just read an article about ABF. They do best in groups (2-3) in a 90 gallon aquarium. They also are predatory fish. They have HUGE mouths. An african leaf fish will eat anything its size or smaller, a BGK will grow anywhere up to 21 inches and needs at least a 150+ I also fear that the knife could possibly eat the eyes out of the angels or the gourami. I would re think your list.

Ive had a hard time feeding african butterflies in the past, Live crickets work best from my experience.. Thats the best advice i could give you in conjunction with what was said above

Jacobsal91 said:
Ive had a hard time feeding african butterflies in the past, Live crickets work best from my experience.. Thats the best advice i could give you in conjunction with what was said above
Yeah, they prefer to eat bugs off of the surface.

I would catch moths that attach to porch light at night and give it to mine.
Mine was very aggressive and would follow my hand around the tank hoping I had food.
I had to rehome. He ate my Cory's as they came up to 'gulp' air.
Tried to bite me a couple times. He was 5 inches when I rehomed

image-2528633012.jpg

Back
Top Bottom