African Cichlids Suddenly Dying

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jc102

Aquarium Advice Activist
Hello,

I have a 75 gallon mixed African tank and I lost one of my cichlids about 3 weeks ago and this morning another is on the bottom of the tank close to death.

My tank has been established for over a year and the water parameters are all good. I do water changes every week.

It's hard to tell if he is sick or if the other fish attacked him. I am down to 7 fish, including the dying one.

Does anyone have any ideas on what it could be? It kind of looks like it's bloated but I'm not an expert.

Also, here's a shot of some of the other fish.

The dying fish is still moving, but barely. Is there anything I can do to save it?

He could have very well been attacked. You might add more fish to curb aggression.

How many would you recommend for my 75 gallon?

Also, I moved it to a quarantine tank and he is upside down at the bottom.

He definitely looks beat up. Probably best to euthanize.

I'd say 18-20 for your tank would be a good number. Check them out closely to find the overly aggressive one's. You may have to remove a few as you go.

He definitely looks beat up. Probably best to euthanize.

I'd say 18-20 for your tank would be a good number. Check them out closely to find the overly aggressive one's. You may have to remove a few as you go.

He died about an hour ago. I'm going to go get some more to add to the tank and rearrange the decor and see how it goes. Thanks for the help!

Let us know how it goes. Overstocking with Africans usually keeps them from killing each other off.

Back
Top Bottom