African Dwarf Frog Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Rosenweiss

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hey guys. I was wondering if an African Dwarf Frog would be an appropriate tank mate for fish in a 29-gallon community tank. These fish include tetras, danios, class cats, a pleco, and a hillstream loach (as well as snails and shrimp).

A few of the concerns I have are feeding it, whether or not it will eat the snails, shrimp, or fish, and if an 18" tall tank is too tall for it to swim up to get air.

One site said you shouldn't feed it freeze-dried or pellet foods, but if I put live foods in there for it, the glass cats will probably eat them first.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

Hey guys. I was wondering if an African Dwarf Frog would be an appropriate tank mate for fish in a 29-gallon community tank. These fish include tetras, danios, class cats, a pleco, and a hillstream loach (as well as snails and shrimp).

A few of the concerns I have are feeding it, whether or not it will eat the snails, shrimp, or fish, and if an 18" tall tank is too tall for it to swim up to get air.

One site said you shouldn't feed it freeze-dried or pellet foods, but if I put live foods in there for it, the glass cats will probably eat them first.

Any thoughts? Thanks!

No the frogs will not eat anyone in the tank. Sometimes they are very small and not well fed when you bring them home but that tank height should be okay.

The only pellet food they should receive, ideally, is frog/tadpole bites. These are specially formulated so that they do not cause the bowel impaction these little guys are prone too. I rotate those with frozen bloodworms every other day. I keep mine in their own small tank and even then I have to reach in and put their food in their cave..otherwise they just won't find it and I'll have to suck it out. I kept them with guppies before and it didn't work for me. I had to drop the food right on the ADF's faces pretty much so they could find it before the guppies got it and the guppies of course would interfere and ended up getting overfed in my attempts to get the ADF's to get enough food. I would really like them in a community tank and sometimes I'm tempted to try again because I hear so many say that they are doing it but I just don't see how they can get enough to eat :confused:

Thanks so much for the advice... I worry about that, too. I guess if I got one I would probably like to put it in a tank of its own in that case. But if we do decide to get one, I will definitely look for those types of foods.

As far as I'm concerned the only problem with these guys is the wicked slow speed of response to food. I feed them frozen bloodworms, which they love once they find them. I have three danios and a tetra (the old man) and they all get along fine. Just watch for a little while when you feed them to make sure the ADF gets a little belly. And don't be surprised if the little hopper heads in the wrong direction for a while. My ADF always makes me laugh at feeding time.

Skiweeangel, what size is your tank? The 29g is pretty big, and there are lots of live plants and 3 decorations, as well as 3 hungry snails, a hungry pleco and a hungry loach. Do you think he could still get his food? I know that the snails, pleco and loach prefer algae or algae wafers, but would they pick up frozen food too?

You might have to hand feed these guys in a community. Go to the reptile section and get those long tongs. Use this to feed them bloodworms. Make sure to put it by their mouth. You have to get them used to this.

I'm getting two to put in my 10 gallon betta tank. I'm planning on hand (tong) feeding them every other day.

Aha... I'm such a noob; I thought I had to actually put my hand down there 18" into the tank. >.< Thanks for the info about the tongs!

I have used my hands when hand feeding them because they slam into my hand with all their might going after the worm and they are so small and delicate I'm afraid of them hurting themselves on the tongs. Maybe I'm worried for no reason...

Oh wait you just drop them in there with the tongs? ok wow..yeah..I've been using my hands lol

Boyfriend and I agree, it's probably too much of a risk...Always a chance, though. Thanks much for the advice guys!

He is in my sons 10gal tank. I have not had to hand feed him but I might if the competition were higher. The tongs sound like a great idea! Let me know how they work.

From my research, they hunt by smell(they are pretty much blind). So if you use the tongs to lower the bloodworms near their mouth, they can get it faster and you can just lightly hold on to it with the tong until they get it

The tongs I got is a 10" from zoo med.

So, how often do you need to do this, and how much food do you feed at one time?

Again from research, (I'm getting mines on Monday) you can feed them every other day. They are carnivores so they need protein. Bloodworms are favorites and they also have frog pellets.

With bloodworms maybe 3 or 4 bloodworms. I did ask the LFS what they feed and they use HBH? pellets and he said one pellet a day.

I will start with the bloodworms 3x a week. This aquarium is in my office and I'm off on weekends. So I will be feeding MWF. Anyone can jump in if they think this is not enough.

Thanks! I would research the bloodworms first though (if they are freeze-dried), since I read that freeze-dried foods can be harmful to them.

I feed 4 pellets per frog one day and 4 frozen bloodworms per frog the next.

siva said:
I feed 4 pellets per frog one day and 4 frozen bloodworms per frog the next.

Four pellets sounds better. I was really questioning this from the LFS. He said they don't eat much so a pellet us fine but it sounded way too little.

Do you think they will need to eat everyday? Or would every other day be ok?

Back
Top Bottom