African newbie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ImACoolguy

Aquarium Advice Addict
Hello friends, some of you know me and some of you don't.

I'm going to have some free tank space soon and what I'm really itching to try is African cichlids.

I have kept quite a variety of cichlids from Jack Dempsey to small apiatogramma, however I have never owned Africans. This is completely new territory for me! I haven't decided on 75g or 55g but I believe I want to do 75g.

Anyway, I'm looking at peacocks and haps but like I said this is new territory for me and I'm not sure how to go about it.

I know for a fact that these tanks are often overstocked to combat aggression. This tank will definitely be overfiltered (as if it makes a difference). I have crushed coral to buffer my pH to 8.0-8.2 Besides that, I'm really in the dark....

Is there a male to female ratio I should follow?
Over aggressive species to avoid?
I see some tanks with a ton of rock work and some with hardly any?

I guess my main issue is I'm not sure how to stock it.

Any African cichlid keepers I openly accept pointers and guidance. This tank isn't ready for fish yet but I always give myself plenty of time for research. Any help is appreciated thank you

There's an excellent Youtube video by KBtropicals (perhaps it's KGtropicals) about how many Malawi cichlids you can put in a tank. Personally, I'd go with a 75g over a 55g. The 75 won't take up much more floor space, yet it will give you 20 more gallons. Also, you can have 1 more species in a 75g than in a 55g. You can probably do up to 5 species in a 75g, provided you stick with smaller growing species, and do a bit of research ro find compatible species. I would go with extensive rock work with plenty of caves and hiding places, as opposed to a few rocks, unless you plan to overstock. Most Malawi cichlids are rock dwellers, and they'll appreciate it. Typically, it's recommended that you have 1m/3-4f, unless you choose to do an all male tank. Interestingly, all male tanks seem to have less aggression than mixed m/f tanks, and if your fish breed, the aggression is amped even more, and many species of cichlids have more colorful males than females, although this isn't a hard and fast rule. Personally, after trying and failing miserably with them, I would avoid Demasoni dwarf Mbunas. I break several rules with my Malawi tank, having Mbuna mixed m/f, and male only peacocks. Luckily, I have a fairly peaceful tank. I find Youtube to be a valuable source of info, as well as the very knowledgeable people in the forums here. You can never ask too many questions, or do too much research.

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply SharLar. An all male tank sounds more colorful and more interesting to me.

I don't have a lot of money upfront. Someone told me when you stock Africans it's best to do the majority at one time to combat aggression. Thoughts?

Thank you for the reply SharLar. An all male tank sounds more colorful and more interesting to me.

I don't have a lot of money upfront. Someone told me when you stock Africans it's best to do the majority at one time to combat aggression. Thoughts?

On the last sentence, complete nonsense. I've added a single individual to a two year old tank with no adverse issues, I typically feed before a new addition, a hungry cichlid is an angry cichlid. Some suggest a rescape with new additions so as to establish new territories but from my experience cichlids are jerks whether you move their stuff around or not.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks man. Any other tips? I know you have quite a bit of experience with Africans. What do you think is nonsense from him? I know he favors mixed tanks. I decided just peacocks and haps to keep it simple.

A lot of people say stupid things, KGtropicals included, but I actually like his videos. As far as adding fish, you can do 1 or 2 each time you add. The idea of adding all at once is to supposedly combat aggression by starting all fish out on equal terms, but at some point, aggression is going to happen. They're cichlids. Adding several fish at once will theoretically spread out the "new kid on the block" aggression to several fish instead of 1 or 2. However, there are ways to get around this. Try adding new fish shortly before lights out. You could also try rearranging decor shortly before adding new fish so that old, established territories no longer exist. Or, just rearrange decor whenever aggression gets out of hand. Some degree of aggression will likely happen whenever you add fish, but as long as it doesn't get out of hand or continue for several hours or days, it usually isn't a problem.

Thanks.

I think another thing I'm wondering is "how much is too much" I know you overstock but is it just personal judgement to say "okay this tank can't hold anymore.."

I did watch one of KGtropicals videos and I follow his group on Facebook. I took a particular interest in his Venestus. I really like them, I realize that is one that can reach 10-12 inches and wonder if a 75g could hold one in conjuntion with other Africans.

Thanks.

I think another thing I'm wondering is "how much is too much" I know you overstock but is it just personal judgement to say "okay this tank can't hold anymore.."

I did watch one of KGtropicals videos and I follow his group on Facebook. I took a particular interest in his Venestus. I really like them, I realize that is one that can reach 10-12 inches and wonder if a 75g could hold one in conjuntion with other Africans.

Venestus, yes in a 75 but not with Peacocks. If you go that route I'd look at an aggressive Malawi mix, venestus, auratus, zebras, kenyi etc..

On what is too much, check my reply on another forum. For smaller Peacocks and a few smaller haps I'd do about 15-20 fish in a 75. Larger cichlids maybe 10-12. I currently have 12 in my 60 gallon. Also read my note on over stocking there, it's not the right answer to aggression.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Have have 25 in a 90 gal. All male mixed peacock hap and mbuna. Breaking all the rules and it's working great for the past 2 years. I do move all decor around every month with every other water change.
The problem with a low budget is u will probably be buying juveniles for 5 - 15 bucks a fish but you won't know if they're male or female yet. If u get friend with a local store (lfs) then you can buy five and keep the male and give back the others in return for another few of another species to get an all male tank (what I did) or keep the females and give back any extra males. Either way get a lfs that you can return or trade fish with

Back
Top Bottom