Aggresive silver-tip tetras

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GuppyAquatail109

Aquarium Advice Regular
Hello everyone!So I have a little problem in my tank.My two silver-tip tetras are fin nippping alot!They are even aggresive to eatchother,and the male is all damaged.Its eye is flattened and milky,and the scales are damaged because of nipping.The tetras attack all the fish in the aquarium,here is a little information about my tank.:mad::mad::mad:

:fish1:10 Gallon::fish2:
-7 Guppies
-3 Glowlight tetras
-1 Neon tetra
-2 Silvertip tetras

Filter:Aquaclear 50(pretty big for the tank size)

Ok,ok,I know that it is overcrowded.Before you say anything about the stocking levels,here is a bit of more information.
The silver-tip tetras were a mistake from the pet shop.We were supposed to get 5 glowlight tetras,but back then I didn't know much about fish.
The Neon tetras...There was four of them,but the filter was too strong.(They got sucked in):(

The guppies are nipped alot.I am afraid they might get fin rot...:eek:

What do I do?I bought them from the pet store 8 months ago...from king eds....will they accept it back?PLEASE HELP!

Sorry this is a long thread:(

Hi,

I'm kind of new to all of this, but I have Colombian tetras. They can be a more aggressive type of tetra too, but they do better if you keep at least 6. Otherwise, they can get nippy/violent with other fish and each other.

I guess you are kind of maxed out stocking wise...so I'm not sure what the best answer for you is. Maybe you can get a LFS to take some of your fish or find a friend who can accommodate some of them?

Yeah +1 to ^ that.
I have silver tips as well and they got nippy as their numbers dwindled. Now I'm down to one. :-( But he just schools with my other tetra's now. Good luck!

Well I know you don't want to hear about stocking...but that's your problem. You have 3 fish that should be kept in larger numbers to have security and a hierarchy. The guppies are fine alone, but not the tetras. You have to pick 1 or two of the tetras and get 5 to 8 of them. Then get rid of the others.

Well I know you don't want to hear about stocking...but that's your problem. You have 3 fish that should be kept in larger numbers to have security and a hierarchy. The guppies are fine alone, but not the tetras. You have to pick 1 or two of the tetras and get 5 to 8 of them. Then get rid of the others.
Thanks for the info.I know very well that tetras must be kept in groups of five.The neon tetra schools with the glowlight tetra,and they get along well,but as I said,the silver tip tetras are the problem.I will give them back to the pet store,but one of them is so damaged that I don't know if they will accept it back...

Back
Top Bottom