Aggressive Danio

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

vb1946

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I have 4 leopard Danios I believe to be 1 male and 3 females, I noticed today that the male is really harassing a female so much so that she keeps resting on the gravel and breathing fast, he kept on and on so I netted him to give her a rest. Now what to do, is he trying to mate with her or is he just a bully, I will have to let him free sometime, any thoughts please, should I take him back to shop or will he calm down I have had them for about 5 months and not noticed this before.

In what way is he harrasing her?
Females are rounder in shape where males are more slender. If they've been together 5months peacefully i would of thought its trying to spawn with her.

I have some pristella tetra, luckily only 1 male and hes on their cases every morning. Luckily its spread out amongst the others but hes persistant but never aggressive, my females are bigger and tell him to get lost if they arnt interested. They do breed regularly though but the eggs dont last long, the other fish in the tank always know when its going down and follow the male around and as soon as the female sprays her eggs its a feeding frenzy, which is a pitty but at the same time i dont really want any fry at the moment.

He just keeps chasing her, she tries to hide but he finds her, I am worried because she is getting very stressed, at the moment I got a peaceful tank now he's netted, it's hard to tell if he nipping her as they so fast. I will let him out later and see what happens, do you think she may have eggs she does look slightly rounder than the other females, he is slim not like rounded females.

He just keeps chasing her, she tries to hide but he finds her, I am worried because she is getting very stressed, at the moment I got a peaceful tank now he's netted, it's hard to tell if he nipping her as they so fast. I will let him out later and see what happens, do you think she may have eggs she does look slightly rounder than the other females, he is slim not like rounded females.

Its more than likely she does yes and i wouldnt expect it to get any better to be honest, but its usually only during the morning for afew an hour or 2, is it happening all the time?

To tell you the truth I only noticed it late morning as I took a plant out and adjusted a rock, I was watching the tank when I noticed this behaviour I could see she stressed as she was trying to rest on the gravel but he wasn't letting her I have never seen any fish sitting on the gravel before and was concerned, I suppose this went on for about an hour and I couldn't stand it any longer so I netted him, I will let him out later, if he carries on I think he will kill her, what should I do?

I just been watching her she is hanging around the net where he is and seems agitated going up and down the glass very jerky do you think she wants him out, cos I thinking if she does want to release eggs she wants him there to fertilise them, or am I thinking wrong as do not know much about breeding.

Danios can also be aggressive if they aren't in a secure school I've heard and have also seen it. I know you do a have a school, but it is quite small. I'm not familiar with mating danios so I guess that could be it too, or you just have an aggressive alpha male haha.

To tell you the truth I only noticed it late morning as I took a plant out and adjusted a rock, I was watching the tank when I noticed this behaviour I could see she stressed as she was trying to rest on the gravel but he wasn't letting her I have never seen any fish sitting on the gravel before and was concerned, I suppose this went on for about an hour and I couldn't stand it any longer so I netted him, I will let him out later, if he carries on I think he will kill her, what should I do?

Well ive never seen a healthy fish sitting on the bottom either to be honest. Is she actually layed on the gravel or hovering above? He isnt going to stop so i guess if he continues to stress her out to that extent then i would get rid of him or add more danios to distribute it.

She not on her side but she actually rests her underneath on the gravel not hovering, I will see what happens when I let him out, if he continues I will net him again and take him back, thanks for your responses.

I let him out of net yesterday and he seemed to have calmed down, I am watching this morning and they all seemed to be doing their usual danio thing, fingers crossed they'll be okay, if not naughty net for him again lol

Back
Top Bottom