Aggressive platy?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Aneamals

Aquarium Advice Activist
I bought 2 platys about 3 weeks ago from the same lfs, but they were in a different tank, and the employee put them both in the same bag for me. Then I put them both in a quarantine tank.

All that time until today, they were very nice to each other and swam together in peace. Now today I notice the bigger red one is pecking at the little blue one every once in a while when he notices he is near. And now the little one swims away every time he notices the big one, even though the big one isn't bothering him at that moment. I'm really worried, the big one was usually the most lax of them both and he's being a little aggressive now. I also find it really weird how a platy is being even slightly aggressive. Aren't they supposed to be one of the calmest and kindest freshwater aquarium fish?

Last week they healed from some kind of ich or something. Actually, I don't really know what it was, it was really tiny specks only noticeable on their fins, but it's gone now after I gave them a week of 88*F temperature. I don't know if that has anything to do with the big platys aggressiveness. But the specks are completely gone now, not a single spot in sight.

I'm thinking of putting them both in the main tank tomorrow for the first time. It has a lot of hiding places so the little platy can feel safer, and the big platy can have his space to roam alone.

Also, so far, the little blue one doesn't seem to be too stressed out by the big red bullying. He still swims around quite freely, but more cautiously.

So I came back from the university, and the fish seemed to be more behaved, the red one seemed to only be following the blue one around, but not pecking at him. After changing the water, the red one continued following the blue one. After I did something else, and came back to check on them, the BLUE one was following the red one around, seeming to want to get to the red one's butt.
I'm so confused haha. It's kinda funny. Maybe it's platy mating season, and they just think the other is female? I really don't know, these guys are crazy haha.

Male platies can be surprisingly aggressive. Females aren't really. As long as the big one is not constantly chasing the other I wouldn't worry. This is pretty normal in fish keeping.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

Male platies can be surprisingly aggressive. Females aren't really. As long as the big one is not constantly chasing the other I wouldn't worry. This is pretty normal in fish keeping.

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice
Ahhh I see. Well, seems they've cooled down now. I don't see any more chasing or pecking.

Back
Top Bottom