Ahhhhh!!!!! Help!!!!!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

GodFan

Aquarium Advice Addict
My mom got a 26 gallon bowfront. It has an aqueon 30 filter on it. It is ALWAYS cloudy! So...... Well I got mad!!! I did like a 60% water change and took out the airotor in the filter and buried her airstone again.....but thats not the worst part.... I used cold water and the temp dropped 4 degrees!!!! Now one of her platies has a fungus looking thing on its tail!
So here is the setup: 26 bowfront with a aqueon 30 filter and an airstone. I took out the airator. She has 7 glofish, 7 platies (one is a tiny one), 1 molly, 2 ottos, 1 julii cory, and a handful of molly and platy fry. She adds salt sometimes after a couple of water changes and she had the temp at about 74 probably. I raised it too 76 for her....then dropped it to 72 with this water change.....
The tank is cycled. The fish are all healthy except the one platy with possible fungus and one glofish that started acting wierd awhile ago and just hasnt recovered (insanity?)
So my questions:
Should we add aquarium salt regularly for the molly?
WHAT TEMPERATURE SHOULD WE SET IT TOO?
Will it hurt the fish to match the temperature of the water from the tap to the tank? (I was told not to do this because it could leach metals from the hot water pipes into the tank) If it is safe for fish is it safe for inverts? (I cant take any risk if its not. Expensive CPO)
Sorry for the length of this post. Just need answers!
Thanks in advance and God bless!

You should always temp match your waters. If you have issues using the hot water tap then just nuke some in the microwave and mix it until you get the right temp. Then add the water to the tank.

Oh and I didnt add declhorinator until the end of the water change. I turned off the bubble stone and filter until I was done (about 40 minutes)

GodFan said:
Oh and I didnt add declhorinator until the end of the water change. I turned off the bubble stone and filter until I was done (about 40 minutes)

If you are going to add chlorinated water straight to a tank you need to add the dechloinator first.
Turn off filters and heater
Remove water
Add dechlorinator
Add new water
Wait 5-10 mins then turn everything back on.

Ah some other people said water then dechlorinator.... How can I treat the fungus?

So if he does get worse and I worry then what?

I dont have a qt tank. Do I have to use meds or is there a natuaral method? Also what about my other questions? Temperature and salt?

If you have copper pipes,using warm water for your pwc's could potentially cause problems with inverts. Fungus meds, atleast what I've used, aren't invert safe, nor would I feel totally safe adding inverts soon after treatment. The best bet really would be to set up a hospital tank for the infected fish. I've had success only treating infected fish in the past w/o any others becoming infected.

ok thanks. Hey there again siva lol I use cold water usuallyt. Maybe it wont be as bad when I do smaller changes....

:wave: Yes hi from your AA neighborhood stalker! LOL

You really want to add water of the correct temp. If for any reason you can't run it from the tap that way, you'd need to heat it first (which clearly sounds like a ton a fun). Your tank here really doesn't have great filtration, so it needs a nice large water change once a week, and cold just isn't going to work. :)

You need to keep the temperature the same. Follow the steps.
1 check the temperature and remember or write it down
2 turn of heater and filters
3 drain water
4 set the temp of the water coming out of your tap
5 add water conditioner to your tank. Not only enough to treat the new water but all in the tank
6 turn everything back on.

I would say you also have to many fish. Many of your fish are also huge waste producer like the goldfish and mollies.
This being said filtration and water changes are extremely important for your fish health. I would be doing a 30-40% water change once a week. This will also help with the fungus.

You can add salt of you want but since you do not know how much is already in the tank you might get into some trouble. Only add salt for what you take out. I use 1 tablespoon per 5 gallon.

Also you said to use cold water? They are crazy! That is so bad for your fish! Cause them to go under stress. Try to get it the same

They are actually Glo Fish (zebra danios) not goldfish, so no, it's really not an excessive bio-load for a 26 gal IMO. The molly is a big waste producer, but there is only one. :)

The way I do water changes: put the thermometer in a one gallon pitcher, make sure water is the same temp as tank, add 10 drops dechlorinator, mix for a sec with my hand, pour into tank, repeat! I'm a little anal about getting it exactly the same temp, and I like to dechlorinate before it goes in the tank.

I just dont wanna add metals from the pipes into my tanks. Why is my filtration not good though? Thre filter is rated for 45 gallons.....

Hi when you do a water change getting the temperature exactly right is not a problem,unless you are doing a BIG water change,i simply put me hand in the bucket if it feels right then it is:) Fish are used to small changes in temperature. Is the tank still murky or has it cleared now? As for the fungus as already said keep an eye on it and see if it clears up. As for your filter i do not know that type,but most manufactures are rather generous with what there filters will do,this is why i always use two filters,also a very good idea just in case one packs up:)

Back
Top Bottom