ahsupply kit....

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mr funktastic

Aquarium Advice Addict
ok so i am getting a 46 gal bowfront after christmas and i am going the full blown set up. eco, full fert dosing, pressurized co2 and high light... thats where the question comes in. i was looking at all my options and i came up with a few. i was going to go with the coralife dual 96 watt pc fixture. its about 200 after shipping and all that good stuff. but then i was looking at ahsupply kits. they claim to get 162% reflectivity. so technically if i got a dual 55 watt bright kit then it would be putting out(55*2*1.62) 178 watts or about 3.8 WPG. or... 3.8*1.3(the difference in the WPG rule to account for pc bulbs, i dont remember the exact difference) it would be putting out 231 watts or 5 WPG. would i be better off going with the dual 55 watt kit? i have no problem building a hood. whats everyones experice and opinions on there kits... are they really as effective as they say they are. i would be willing to do a few different combinations if anyone ha a better idea. like 3 36 watts or 1 96 and a 55.. whatever sound better.

From what I've heard AHsupply kits are worth every penny. The reflectors are suppose to make a huge difference. I'm also in need of some lighting and so far the plan is to pick up at least a couple of their kits. Still doing some research though.

I purchased my lighting from AH Supplies a couple years ago and they still work great! The lighting system was my first real system for an aquarium. Since then, I have purchased other brands for my other tanks, but I would have to say that AH is, by far, my best lighting system.

This post will actually help me out too, because I also have a 46 bow front aquarium that is begging me to finish it. I am planning on getting my lights from AH Supplies as well.

well i have faith in there product but my main concern is the light out put. every member on here that has purchased lights from them have all said positive things but what i want to make sure is that 110 watts(2X55 watt brightkit) is going to be brighter or atleast the same as 192 watts(2x96 watt corlife fixture) can i actually count on there 162%reflectivity to get me into highlight. i am in canada so if i need to order 3 55 watt kits then i need to do it all at once or shipping will kill me.

I don't know the answer to that one Funk........but I wouldn't count on it.

I would shoot them an email and see what they say.

Ask them if what you are looking for would be somewhat comparable to the 192W fixture.

ya thats a good idea. i hear they have really good customer service. they had and article about something similiar to what i am doing. you can see it HERE. i think i may just get the extra 55 watt kit then after observing growth i can see what the difference is. unless someone had the same situation as me. i will send them and email and see what kind of response i get.

I just bought 2, 1x96 watt kits from AH supply (check out my thread in the DIY forum) for my 55. I had a flat reflector with 2 96 watt bulbs before, and I can definitely see an intensity difference with the same bulbs and new reflectors. My plants definitely see it too; my sunset hygro is fluorescent pink at the top now and some of the stem plants are bending down towards the gravel thinking they are at the surface because of the light intensity. I don't know if it's 62% more, that seems a little high to me. I feel like 2x96 on a 46 would be a little insane, but it depends on what you want to do!

The kits are really nice, very thorough directions and easy to set up and wire. I had to modify my canopy but it was pretty straightforward.

looks like im a little late.....but i was inspired to do a DIY setup like yours....then on ebay i found the kit minus the bulbs....a 2x55 kit which with the power of pc and their reflectors im guess puts me around 5wpg on a 29....i cant even look directly into it. IMO i think theyre are worth all of the money.

i have a 46 bowrfront and it came with a single tube floresent, i got the ah supply 96w kit, and it fit perfectly, however it makes a lot more heat, so if you are used to DIY, they save the money and go with ah, ,you will have to install a fan or too though.

i will just build an open hood. lots of air movement will go through.to help keep it cool. what i really am trying to acheive with this post is what light level should i be going with if i use the ah supply. i was either going to go with the double 55 watt kit or i was just thinking 1 96 watt kit and 1 55 watt kit might me better. the 96watt will go across practically the whole tank then the 55 can be centered. with 2 55 it would make the lighting awkward and offset. so many options lol. i am definatly going with the ah kit but i just need to figure out a combination that will work for me.

The fancy reflectors from AHsupply definitely do help - but how much? 162% of what? I think its better to get a little too much and tone things down rather than get too little and regret it later.

A 96 and a 55 sounds like a great idea.

The fancy reflectors from AHsupply definitely do help - but how much? 162% of what?
I agree with hashbaz's sentiment. At best I think you should assume you have all the light hitting the tank, as opposed to loss from inefficient/ineffective reflectors.

How about 96w CF and an ODNO T8 to save on cost and provide "noon burst" lighting?

Back
Top Bottom